Things You Ought To Know First Before Undergoing Liposuction Surgery
According to the medical dictionary of Medline Plus, liposuction is the removal of excess body fat by suction with specialized surgical equipments, typically performed by a plastic surgeon.
With the removal of excess body fat, the body appearance improves and evens out distorted body parts. Breasts, buttocks, abdomen, and the face area are some of the most popular body parts that undergo liposuction.
Foremost reason why people resort to liposuction is for cosmetic reasons. They want to eradicate "love handles", unsightly fat bulges, an abnormal chin line, etc.
Liposuction also helps improve sexual function by reducing fat deposits on the inner thighs, thus allowing easier access to the vagina.
Another reason for undergoing liposuction is body shaping that cannot be achieved by diet and/or exercise.
A note of caution, liposuction is not a cure for generalized obesity.
Liposuction is not as easy as just going to the doctor and telling him or her, "I want a liposuction right now." People who want to have liposuction must meet certain criteria:
1) There should be a preliminary consultation. This includes history of the patient, a comprehensive physical examination, and a psychological health examination;
2) There should be a second consultation to give time for the patient to think over the planned liposuction surgery;
3) If the patient is married, the spouse's presence may be required during the consultation;
4) The patient should ask questions about liposuction, express the reasons for the consultation, and must feel satisfied with the answers to their questions;
5) The patient must fully understand the pre-operative liposuction preparations, the liposuction procedures, and the precise post-operative liposuction care to avoid lethal complications;
6) The patient must have realistic expectations. Liposuction enhances the body appearance and boost self-confidence but it will never result to a perfect body.
Because liposuction is a medical procedure, there are risks involved. Some of the complications that may happen upon having liposuction are:
* Fluid imbalance due to the removal of a lot of liquid during liposuction and/or injection of large amounts of liquid during liposuction which can result to shock, heart problems, or kidney problems.
* Infections happen after any surgery and some physicians prescribe an antibiotic to patients having liposuction so it is important to keep the wound clean. Infections may be life threatening such as necrotizing fasciitis (bacteria eating away the tissue) or the toxic shock syndrome caused by bacteria associated with surgery.
* Embolism occurs when tiny globules of fat trapped in the blood stream blocks the blood flow to the tissue. This may cause permanent disability. Signs of pulmonary embolism are shortness of breath or difficulty of breathing.
* Drug reactions or overdose from lidocaine is fatal. Lidocaine is a drug that numbs the skin and large doses of this is used during liposuction. The effects of lidocaine are lightheadedness, restlessness, drowsiness, slurred speech, muscle twitching, and convulsions. Overdose of this drug may cause the heart to stop which is naturally fatal.
* Burns caused by the ultrasound probe during ultrasound assisted liposuction.
* Visceral perforations or puncture wounds in the organs may require another surgery and can be fatal. During liposuction, the physician does not see where the probe (canula) is, so it is possible to harm internal organs.
* Skin death (skin necrosis) occurs when skin changes color and fall off. This may also cause infection.
* Paresthesias is an altered sensation at the site of liposuction. This may be in the form of increased sensitivity in the area or loss of feeling. Some cases of this are permanent.
Given that the surgery had no major complications, recovery from liposuction can still be difficult.
The liposuctioned area appears larger than before because of swelling.
Special compression garments must be worn for two to three weeks to reduce swelling, bleeding, and to help contour the new body. The patient starts to feel better after a week or two after liposuction.
Walking is recommended after liposuction to prevent blood clots forming in the legs. Finally, exercise and diet will help keep your new shape.
©Charlene J. Nuble 2005. For up to date links and information about liposuction, please go to: http://liposuction.besthealthlink.net/ or for updated links and information on all health related topics, go to: http://www.besthealthlink.net/
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
From onion casserole to sticky rice stuffing, our readers' Thanksgiving family recipes tell a story - Washington Post
Google Trends Data, McCormick Recipes bring to life American 'Friendsgiving' - The Harlan Daily Enterprise
Advantages of an Indoor Tanning Bed
Think tanning and you will find a tanning salon just a few blocks away. With each passing day, tanning is gaining more and more popularity and is increasingly enmeshed in our society.
Abdominoplasty: Types of Procedures
Abdominoplasty, commonly known as a tummy tuck, is a major surgical procedure for men and women generally in good shape and health but who have large fat deposits around their abdomen or have and excess of loose skin. Abdominoplasty can reduce protruding abdominal fat but it does leave a lengthy, permanent, sometimes visible scar that runs the length of the hipbones.
Tanning The Natural Way
This is a call to everybody. Save your skin, now before it's too late! Having a tan makes you look more healthy and gorgeous.
Cosmetic Chin Surgery - The Final Facial Touch
When either cosmetic or plastic surgery are mentioned to us, our thoughts run immediately to breast implants or liposuction, but there are many other procedures available that although they might not receive the same attention of their more obvious counterparts can have a huge impact upon both the appearance and the self confidence of a patient. One of these unsung heroes is cosmetic chin surgery, which can exert a profound effect that belies the ease with which it can be performed.
Botox Cosmetic Injection
Botox (botulinum toxin) is an extremely popular cosmetic procedure because it is a non-surgical way to reduce or eliminate frown lines, forehead creases, crows feet, neck bands and other wrinkles. It has fast results, is non-invasive and does not leave scars, but it also can wear off and should be re-injected, although the FDA recommends Botox not be re-injected more frequently than every three months.
How to Achieve Younger Looking Skin
HEALTHY SKIN BEGINS WITH THE BASICS.Overexposure to the sun causes wrinkles and premature aging.
Effective Make-up and Beauty Tips: Dos and Donts, Avoid These Most Common Mistakes!
With the amount of importance given to make-up these days, many women just tend to do a bit too much. Getting the right make-up for the particular occasion is the call of the entire womanhood.
Eczema: Tips On How To Care For Your Skin
Eczema can best be described as a non-contagious skin condition, which is characterized by hot dry itchy skin, with symptoms that often fluctuate seasonally and even over the course of the day. Eczema typically begins in early childhood.
More Care Hair Myths - the Truth and the Lies
We all have a favourite myth about hair care - some of them are as old as the hills! In this second in a series of 3 articles, we examine some of the most widely known myths - and seek out the reality?1. Dry hair is damaged by too-frequent washingFALSE: Hair is more likely to be damaged if it's left too long between washes.
A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever! And that can be You!
It is said that a thing of beauty is a joy forever. That probably explains why possessing beauty and being beautiful is one of the foremost preoccupations of human beings.
Toss It? or Keep It?
If you are a product junkie like me then you probably have lotions, creams, tubes of lipstick etc that have been sitting in the same spot untouched for several months or even years. You know the items that you just had to have but then forgot about after the thrill of buying it wore off.
Contact Lenses and the Over 40s
The over-40s crowd are suffering from discovering that their arms are growing shorter as words become increasingly more difficult to read up close and they must hold small items at arms length to be able to see them properly.This is obviously an eye complaint and is called presbyopia.
Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) Information: Worth the Cost
The nose is the central part of the human face, and is thus one of the first features everyone will see. Many people with high, wide bridges, drooping tips and large nostrils are highly self conscious about the way their nose looks and how others perceive them because of it.
Whats Up With Botox?
BOTOX® is part of a family of drugs called "botulinum toxins". Specifically, it is the Registered Trademark and brand name for "botulinum toxin type A" which is manufactured by a company called "Allergan".
Benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid Creams
Alpha Lipoic Acid (or ALA) has received a great deal of attention recently as more and more individuals are learning about its numerous benefits. Although Alpha Lipoic Acid comes in various forms, creams are often the most easy and effective way of applying ALA.
Hair Styles - How To Get The Most Flattering Hair Style
Do you ever wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and just want to crawl back in bed because of the way your hair looks? We all have bad hair days, but if your bad hair days are turning into bad hair weeks or months, then you might need some help.Many people look to celebrities to find a new hair style---spending tons of money on all kinds of magazines only to frantically tear thru the pages in search of the perfect hair style.
Safe Tanning Ideas
Being outdoors is not the only element to take into consideration when factoring in your amount exposure to the sun. You also need to note the intensity with regards to climate, the season, location and time of day.
Where to Find Wholesale Hair Extensions
Many people turn to hair extensions to change their looks and, in turn, to change their lives. This makes for big business for cosmetologists trained in hair extension application.
Dermaglow For Natural Skin
Bring natural beauty to your skin with the launch of Dermaglow an extensive assortment of skin care treats to heal, soothe and protect. Developed in Canada by pharmacist Dr Calvin Davies, Dermaglow have captured the essence of magical botanical ingredients to feed your skin and bring paradise to your senses.
What the Peat Bog People Can Tell Us About Beauty
Over the past centuries, remains of many hundreds of people-- men, women, and children--have come to light in peat bogs in northwestern Europe, especially in Ireland, Great Britain, the Netherlands, northern Germany, and Denmark. Peatlands are most extensive in northern regions.
|home | site map|