|Crafts & Hobbies Information|
Scrapbooking on a Budget
Memories are priceless, but the cost of preserving them can be high. Here are nine tips for making the most of your scrapbooking budget.
1.Be on the lookout for scrapbooking supplies everywhere you go. I once made the cutest shabby chic card with the corrugated cardboard liner in a light bulb box. Another example: you can buy 100 brass brads for less than a dollar at the local discount store and then customize them to match your layout with acrylic paint and/or sandpaper. Or look in the clearance bin for ribbon, fiber, and fabric remnants - or bouquets of silk flowers, which you can take apart and attach to your cards and layouts with brads, eyelets, bottlecaps, or button. You'll find all kinds of treasures at office supply, hardware, and dollar stores, as well as flea markets and garage sales.
2. Keep your supplies organized. When your papers and embellishments are logically arranged and easy to find, you'll always know what you have, which means you'll buy fewer duplicates. And you don't need expensive racks for storing your paper. The large 14" Ziploc bags are perfect for storing 12x12 paper. You can even hang the labeled Ziploc bags from skirt hangers to maximize your space. A few inexpensive baskets or plastic containers can hold your adhesives, pens and trimmers. And a common tacklebox is great for small embellishments. Or use resealable Ziploc bags to organize brads, eyelets and other small embellishments by type or color and store in a shoebox.
3. Here's a little known secret. You can join a scrapbooking direct sales company, simply to get the discount on your own supplies. Of course, you'll need to make sure the monthly minimums are low enough that you'll be able to meet them with your purchases alone. Here is one such company with monthly minimums of just $25 wholesale per month. Details are here: http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking/wholesale-scrapbooking-supplies.htm
4. Use your scanner to create a unique patterned paper, perfect for your layout. Scan items of clothing, for example, that match the clothing in your photographs. Print the paper and use as part of your background or as a tag or other embellishment.
5. Do a google search for "free fonts" and "free scrapbooking." You'll find thousands of free templates, fonts, and other free resources for scrapbookers.
6. Check your local paper for 50% off coupons at large discount crafting stores. Save these coupons for your larger purchases. Subscribe to Joann.com's email newsletter at the store's website: http//www.joann.com. This store frequently offers special discount codes to newsletter subscribers. But keep in mind, when you are shopping the sale aisle, a good deal is not a good deal if you never use the product. Buy only those things that you love - and know you'll use.
7. When shopping for tools, keep quality and versatility in mind. Investing in quality tools will ultimately save you money, because you won't need to replace them very often. You'll also want to look for trimmers and cutters that allow you to replace only the blade - and not the entire cutting system. The Coluzzle, by Provocraft, is one of the most versatile cutting systems available. It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, you can cut a huge variety of shapes and alphabets, as well as envelopes and tags - all with very inexpensive templates.
8. Save and organize your scraps. It's amazing when a small scrap is perfectly suited for a card of scrapbook. And you can always use the backside of white-core cardstock or patterned paper when you need white. Or give your scraps to your children. My kids are constantly making friendship cards out of my scraps. They each have a basket on the family scraptable, and at the end of a project, I divvy up all my scraps in the three little baskets. They love the new art supplies, and I love to share my love of scrapbooking - and my time spent scrapbooking - with them.
9. Network with other scrapbookers for more low-cost ideas. Arrange a supplies swap with your scrapbooking friends. And read through the scrapbooking magazines for more money-saving ideas. In the last few issues of Scrapbooks, Etc. and Memory Makers, for example, I've read (and then used) the following ideas:
(1) Take photos of interesting signs and cut out the letters for fun, eclectic alphabets.
And (2) make your own stamps from your favorite font or images with a computer printout and some foam board.
You can subscribe to these magazines at significant discounts online. I've compiled the best deals on the industry-leaders here: http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking/scrapbooking-magazines or see if you can check out current issues from your local library. Scrapbooking magazines often feature sweepstakes, drawings, and layout contests, in which you can win free supplies, as well.
You can also save on scrapbooking idea books and techniques books by shopping online. Overstock.com often has these books at an even greater discount than amazon.com, and their shipping is usually much less, too. http://www.overstock.com
Copyright 2005 by Susie Cortright
About the Author: Susie Cortright is the founder of momscape.com - http://www.momscape.com and Momscape's Scrapbooking Playground - http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking - devoted to helping visitors record and preserve their cherished memories. Susie also trains and supports new scrapbooking instructors with a new and rapidly- growing direct sales scrapbooking company. Find out how to join her team here: http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking/business.htm
Hobbies Help Me Cope with the Mental Challenges of Juvenile Arthritis Juvenile Arthritis News
SPIRIT OF PEORIA - Ad from 2019-10-15 | Arts, Crafts, Hobbies & Toys Bloomington Pantagraph
PWP Art Studio - Ad from 2019-10-06 | Crafts, Hobbies & Toys Auburn Citizen
Kids Spend Their Day Off At Craft Camp FOX 21 Online
The Productive Hobby Trap PsychCentral.com
Youth Rising to host open house and fall fundraiser Herald and News
Revel DIY projects at UW Homecoming Block Party! Madison.com
GOOD NEWS: Fair Creative Arts Results Odessa American
Bridge Day vendors turn Route 19 into giant shopping experience The Fayette Tribune
23 things to do around Colorado Springs this weekend Colorado Springs Gazette
Things to do in the Downriver area | Events Calendar Southgate News Herald
Where We Are Going Today: Suplift Arab News
People have been making up to $100,000 off 'coin hunting'—here's how the highly unusual hobby works - CNBC
People have been making up to $100,000 off 'coin hunting'—here's how the highly unusual hobby works CNBC
In pictures: Crafts and Laughs event raises money for Mind Maidenhead Advertiser
Local winners at Dixie Classic Fair Yadkin Ripple
Don't take pot luck on crafts | Ireland The Times
It's a Small World | Editorials | purcellregister.com Purcell Register
Meet-A-Teacher: Becky Ham | Bellevue Leader Omaha World-Herald
Three Things to do This Weekend for October 17 The Times Telegram
Connie Sue Rose Seymour Tribune
Obituary: Beverley J. Armstrong Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel
House to home: Get in the swing Worcester Telegram
Doris (Russell) Sealey Burnet Bulletin
Donna Byer | Obituaries Watertown Public Opinion
Libraries in Weston-super-Mare encouraged locals to try new hobbies | Latest Weston-super-Mare and Somerset news - Weston Mercury
Libraries in Weston-super-Mare encouraged locals to try new hobbies | Latest Weston-super-Mare and Somerset news Weston Mercury
Mary Oliver and the Art of Observation in Nature - 4 week class (Register by Thursday, October 10) - Madison.com
Mary Oliver and the Art of Observation in Nature - 4 week class (Register by Thursday, October 10) Madison.com
New plans for retail unit | Insider Media Insider Media
The Benefits of Being FIRE-ish Kiplinger's Personal Finance
The best craft kits for adults who want to learn a new hobby Business Insider
3 ways to meet new friends | CU Boulder Today CU Boulder Today
The Most Interesting Hobby in the World West Georgian
New Martinsville Rotary Recognizes Magnolia Students - WetzelChronicle.com | News, information, New Martinsville and Wetzel County WV - Wetzel Chronicle
New Martinsville Rotary Recognizes Magnolia Students - WetzelChronicle.com | News, information, New Martinsville and Wetzel County WV Wetzel Chronicle
Record crowds attend Baldwin County Fair Gulf Coast News Today
Dozens win awards at Sooke Fall Fair Sooke News Mirror
Events, fun happenings and things to do Downriver Southgate News Herald
Charles Ronald Chambers The Courier=Times
Burford Fair a family tradition Brantford Expositor
Luverne Adams, 97 Cresco Times Plain Dealer
This n' That Lewiston Sun Journal
Spinning away at CU Castleton Spartan
Don't let your fall break fall short this year The Setonian
New independent bookstore opens in Brighton part of 'resurgence' Livingston Daily
Community Calendar | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
Hobbycraft set to open in Exeter Radio Exe
Janice Marie Redenbaugh The Torrington Telegram
A 'spooktacular' school holiday program and more in October Mudgeee Guardian
From the chairman's desk: Plenty to do in Bryan County Bryan County News
How advertising rates vary by category on Amazon Marketing Land
Hobby Lobby will be coming to Chico Chico Enterprise-Record
Best Children's Craft and Hobby Books Chicago Parent
Weekends on the Web: Saturday & Sunday, October 12-13, 2019 KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis
What to do When You’re Bored in Retirement. ThyBlackMan
Long Island Fair Returns To Old Bethpage Restoration Village Long Island Weekly News
Celebrate Decades of Fun With Dan's Crafts & Things Spectrum News
Burford set to kick off 159th fall fair Brantford Expositor
Things to do in Sterling & Logan County — Oct. 12 – Oct. 14 Journal Advocate
Hobby Lobby to open store in Marshall | News, Sports, Jobs Marshall Independent
Synthwave Provocateur Com Truise Performs in Covington This Week Cincinnati CityBeat
We visited Hobby Lobby and Michaels to see which was a better arts-and-crafts store, and there was an obvious winner - Business Insider
We visited Hobby Lobby and Michaels to see which was a better arts-and-crafts store, and there was an obvious winner Business Insider
Rocky Mount Celebrates fall at the Oct. 12 Family Festival Johnson City Press (subscription)
What's happenings: week of Oct. 10 Surrey Now-Leader
Hobbies shared in public craft store in Elyria | Lorain County The Morning Journal
Caddo River Art Guild to sponsor studio tour Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
Bringing creativity and crafts to Cass City Huron Daily Tribune
Hobby Lobby's Greeneville opening set for Monday Johnson City Press (subscription)
13 Hobbies That Can Make You Money WomansDay.com
Reducing Depression with Hands-On Activities PsychCentral.com
Be Your Own Way, but Still Use the Safe Tools
It is so often that people are not aware with the tools they use when doing their home improvement. Sometimes they use wrong tools just because they want something quick to be done.
Collectibles: Searching for those Hard-to-Find Diecast Models
For collectors of any kind, there are always those items that are much sought after, but nearly impossible to find. If they're lucky enough to finally locate them, the price is often exorbitant or there are some other restrictions which inhibit their ability to secure them.
Civil War Uniforms: 5 Tips on Making Your Trousers Last Forever!
Are your pants wearing out too fast?Does it look like you are expecting a flood because your pants are too short?Make your Civil War Uniform trousers last forever by following these 5 tips!1. Cut your trousers long, so when you first start wearing them you will have to roll them up a few times.
The Making of a Slipcover: A Lost Art
Today in this world of fast everything, most of us just don't have the time (nor patience) to do an all consuming job of making a slipcover. We go buy them and not always are they what we want.
A Few Tips About Comic Book Backing Boards
Comic Book Backing Boards come in different thicknesses and acid-free properties. The basic purpose for using a backing board is to give the comic some stiffness, which helps keep the comic pages from bending, creasing or wrinkling.
Learn Exactly How To Repair Your Sewing Machine At Home!
My name is Tony Asef and I start my own sewing machine business 21 years ago with little knowledge of repairing sewing machine at that time. I remember very good when I was looking for someone to teach me all trick in sewing machine repair business.
Create A Gift Basket For A Cat Lover!
The choice of what gift to give your family and friends can often be a difficult one. One of the best gifts that you can give is a themed gift basket.
How to Make Gel Candles - 11 Easy Steps
Do you love burning beautiful, scented candles? And do you know that you can easily make them yourself? It is exciting and not at all difficult. Here are 12 easy steps to creating unique candles that you can burn at home, give as gifts, or even sell.
Are You Making Money At Craft Shows?
If you are involved in the crafts business, and are profitable, you are among the rare breed who have successfully combined art with business. If, however, you still have yet to show a profit (or enough profit) after a show, this article may get you going in the right direction.
Embroidery Digitizing Software
Embroidery Magic 2 software is very easy to use to make lettering, it is also easy to learn to use the digitizing part of the program but to digitize a good design takes learning, skill and practice. An example of what I am saying is that - for a artist to paint a picture, all it takes is some canvas, paint and brushes (these supplies and tools are easy for anyone to use but it takes learning, practice and artistic skill to paint a beautiful picture.
Genealogy / Family History
One huge advantage of knowing about family history is that sometimes it can help you to trace and pinpoint occurrences of illness.My father and two of my brothers had all died of heart attacks at a fairly young age.
Copyright: Five Facts Every Scrapbooker Needs To Know!
Here are five basic things that EVERY scrapbooker should know about copyright: #1--When you create an original scrapbook layout, card or other project (not from a sketch, scraplift or idea book) you AUTOMATICALLY own the copyright. No, you don't have to add a copyright notice.
How To Create A Collage Journal
Creating a collage journal is a unique and fun way to personalize and enrich your journal. Making a collage journal is something that everyone can enjoy.
Idle Hands Beget The Devils Work
As a southern girl, sewing was a rite of passage. You never questioned if you should learn, it was a matter of when.
Collectible Action Figures - Is About Fun Memories And More Money
Superhero action figures first stormed the doors of department stores and toy stores nearly 35 years ago. Constructed of various kinds of plastic and clothed in uniforms, costumes and capes G.
How To Make a Pinata
MATERIALSA Large Round or Oval BalloonNewspaper, torn into 1 inch by 6-8" inch stripsWhite computer paper or paper towels, torn into stripsFlour and water mixture for paper mache pasteSaltVegetable oilPaintTissue paperCrepe paperString or yarn for hangingINSTRUCTIONSPrepare:Prepare your work surface with a layer of newspaper you can discard, or an old plastic tablecloth you can wipe clean of goop and glops which are part of this messy project!Tear several pages of newspaper into strips, approximately 1 inch wide by 6-8 inches long. Don't try to be neat and cut them with scissors; the torn edges will adhere more closely and give a smoother overall surface to the finished pinata.
Sell Hobby Items by Mail
You can, if you are ambitious, start a Mail Order Business selling collectables to hobbiest by mail. To begin, you must first find a hobby that appeals to YOU.
Stress-Free Scrapbook Journaling Ideas
Do you find it intimidating when you come to journal your scrapbook pages?You are not alone! Many scrapbookers find it hard to get started when it comes to adding journaling to their scrapbooking layouts.If you are one of those people who go blank at the thought of having to journal, don't worry.
Why Do You Need to Have Your Tools Blade Sharpen After Work
If you like to do wood carving or making sculpture as your hobby, you surely need tools to make your creation. If you just starting this hobby, knowing your tools and how to treat your carving tools probably the best way to make everything easier for you, thus make efficient time when doing your work.
Scrapbooking Yourself as an Individual, Homemaker, Worker, and More
From age 25 onwards, our grand adventure has just unfolded as we embrace adulthood.Here's where you experienced first-hand the lessons of life and be prodded along to grow up in the face of challenges.
|home | site map|