|Crafts & Hobbies Information|
17 Tips For Getting Balloons to Last Longer in Hot Weather
In warm weather, latex balloons will typically only last outside for a day. As you know, sun, wind and heat will biodegrade the latex. With that said, however, there are tricks you can do to raise your odds of getting them to last more than a day outside.
1) Use only high quality balloons like Qualatex. I've also heard that some people have used Bellatex and Tilly balloons with some success. Quality makes a huge difference.
2) Avoid using latex balloons whenever possible. After a few days outside, we have seen them completely disintegrate when touched.
3) Qualatex' Polyurethane Duo balloons are designed for outdoor use. They will last longer and look better for extended outdoor use than any latex or foil balloon. They are a bit more pricey but can really take away the headache of shrinking and disintegrating balloons. For larger Duo balloons like 18", it may be cost effective to rent them. The Duo balloons can also be used to leverage small latex balloons. Underinflate your smaller latex balloons and use the lift power of the big balloon to raise them.
4) Always underinflate to allow balloons to expand when absorbing heat. We've found the method that works best is to over-inflate the balloon and then release air until the balloon is slightly underinflated. This helps the balloon to breathe and expand more easily, and it is not as brittle. Underinflating does little good unless you overinflate first.
5) Use balloons two sizes larger than you would normally use.
6) Inflating balloons with the same temperature air as they will encounter outdoors can actually help to retain their shape better.
7) Helium does not work well outdoors in the heat. If you need to use helium-filled latex, try to use large balloons like 24" and inflate to only around 16". Over- inflate with air first, release the air and then re-inflate with helium. You don't want to waste your helium when you pre-inflate.
8) After your balloons are inflated, consider applying a product called "Balloon Shine." It can protect your latex balloons from the sun's UV rays. It's best to experiment with this days before to see if it will work.
9) While Hi-Float is used to make balloons float longer, it is not generally meant for outside use. If you want your balloons to float longer outside, you should plan on doing daily touch-up work to your balloon arrangements. Be sure to include this in your budget.
10) Balloons simply will not last outdoors overnight. As the cold air shrinks the balloons and then they expand in the sun the next day, they will pop like crazy. This can be avoided by simply bringing all balloons indoors in the evening.
11) Use white balloons as much as possible. They reflect the sun and fade less.
12) Avoid darker balloons. They will absorb heat and pop faster. If you need darker colors in your balloon decor, use ribbons to accent in a darker color.
13) Keep in mind that extreme heat speeds up the balloon leakage process. So, in temperatures close to 100 degrees, the helium will escape much faster, drastically reducing float time. If you can find a way to shade balloons, it can slow the process, somewhat.
14) Do not use water to cool down balloons. As the water dries on the latex, it becomes slightly sticky. Balloons can stick together causing them to pop as balloons they expand in the heat.
15) Mylar foil balloons last longer outdoors than latex. Just allow for normal expansion and shrinkage. The downside is that in the hot sun the foil will not hold its color or sheen. There will be a noticable difference by the end of the day.
16) Whenever possible, use some kind of framework to give your balloon decor structure that can withstand wind and heat. This can also be helpful for helium-filled balloons that will lose float time in the heat.
17) We've found that if balloons are going to pop in the heat and sun, the will usually do so within the first hour. So, you'll have a pretty good indication of whether it will work if you set up early.
While it can be difficult to do balloon decor outdoors in the heat, it is certainly not impossible. Just use the above tips to greatly improve your odds.
Passionate about advertising balloons, Kathryn Parisse is editor of The Balloon Newsletter. Subscribe and get answers to all your balloon decor, twisting, and advertising questions at aBalloonaDay.com.
HOBBY LOBBY - Ad from 2019-10-20 | Arts, Crafts, Hobbies & Toys Rapid City Journal
PWP Art Studio - Ad from 2019-09-26 | Crafts, Hobbies & Toys Auburn Citizen
Good Morning: Homemakers sponsor Craft Expo The Herald Bulletin
St. Olaf Holiday Craft Fair | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
SPIRIT OF PEORIA - Ad from 2019-10-21 | Arts, Crafts, Hobbies & Toys Bloomington Pantagraph
Embroidered Pet Portraits | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Youth Rising open house & fall fundraiser Klamath Falls News
Hobbies Help Me Cope with the Mental Challenges of Juvenile Arthritis Juvenile Arthritis News
Boho Feather Wall Hanging | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
GOOD NEWS: Fair Creative Arts Results Odessa American
LIBRARY SHELF Stillwater News Press
The Productive Hobby Trap PsychCentral.com
Sharon L. Miller Sandusky Register
Bored? Check out these inexpensive hobbies Jill Lopez
People have been making up to $100,000 off 'coin hunting'—here's how the highly unusual hobby works - CNBC
People have been making up to $100,000 off 'coin hunting'—here's how the highly unusual hobby works CNBC
Kids Spend Their Day Off At Craft Camp FOX 21 Online
Obituary: Joan S. Tripp Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel
Hobbycraft set to open in Exeter Radio Exe
Community Calendar | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
Felicity Huffman's two week sentence at 'Club Fed' prison slammed as a 'vacation from life' - Daily Mail
Felicity Huffman's two week sentence at 'Club Fed' prison slammed as a 'vacation from life' Daily Mail
New fundraiser to support programs and services of Buckham West Southernminn.com
The best craft kits for adults who want to learn a new hobby Business Insider
Mary Oliver and the Art of Observation in Nature - 4 week class (Register by Thursday, October 10) - Madison.com
Mary Oliver and the Art of Observation in Nature - 4 week class (Register by Thursday, October 10) Madison.com
Halloween events around the region Johnson City Press (subscription)
Libraries in Weston-super-Mare encouraged locals to try new hobbies | Latest Weston-super-Mare and Somerset news - Weston Mercury
Libraries in Weston-super-Mare encouraged locals to try new hobbies | Latest Weston-super-Mare and Somerset news Weston Mercury
Hobby Lobby will be coming to Chico Chico Enterprise-Record
Best Children's Craft and Hobby Books Chicago Parent
Rockingham Plan Your Week Oct. 20-26 | Calendar Greensboro News & Record
Celebrate Decades of Fun With Dan's Crafts & Things Spectrum News
This n' That Lewiston Sun Journal
We visited Hobby Lobby and Michaels to see which was a better arts-and-crafts store, and there was an obvious winner - Business Insider
We visited Hobby Lobby and Michaels to see which was a better arts-and-crafts store, and there was an obvious winner Business Insider
Hobby Lobby to open store in Marshall | News, Sports, Jobs Marshall Independent
Hobbies shared in public craft store in Elyria | Lorain County The Morning Journal
Bringing creativity and crafts to Cass City Huron Daily Tribune
13 Hobbies That Can Make You Money WomansDay.com
Reducing Depression with Hands-On Activities PsychCentral.com
5 craft hobbies to try BT.com
I like crafting Newsday
Hobby Lobby's Greeneville opening set for Monday Johnson City Press (subscription)
De Anda: Picking up new hobbies this summer Iowa State Daily
Hobby Lobby opens in New Iberia KATC Lafayette News
Hobby Lobby crafting a new store at Thunderbird Mall Hibbing Daily Tribune
Humanities, crafts aren’t ‘hobbies’ Pune Mirror
25 Crafts to Make and Sell for Profit Small Business Trends
Hobby Lobby Store Coming to Thunderbird Mall FOX 21 Online
Hobby Lobby seeks employees The Robesonian
Hobby Lobby's Johnson City location expected to open in mid-August - Johnson City Press (subscription)
Hobby Lobby's Johnson City location expected to open in mid-August Johnson City Press (subscription)
5 Southern Art Forms Making a Comeback StyleBlueprint
Hobby Lobby opening soon in JC, Greeneville up next Johnson City Press (subscription)
Junior Crafts Vibrant, Affordable Needlepoint Art The Emory Wheel
New life for empty store: Hobby Lobby coming to Franklin Daily Journal
Don't take pot luck on crafts | Ireland The Times
Hobby Lobby opens in West Allis Milwaukee Business Journal
Fall special interest classes set at Co-Lin Natchez - Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper | Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper - Natchez Democrat
Fall special interest classes set at Co-Lin Natchez - Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper | Mississippi's Best Community Newspaper Natchez Democrat
How to Make Paper Snowflakes the Easy Way Real Simple
Gilded Agate Coaster Making | Crafts and hobbies Madison.com
Perrysville Homestead Festival to be held June 21-22 - News ThisWeek Community News
7 Hobbies and Creative Arts That Don't Involve a Screen My Modern Met
How to Give Your Bike a Tune-Up for Summer Real Simple
Club refurbishing model airplane as tribute to late Seymour man Seymour Tribune
The Importance of Distraction for Kids with Juvenile Arthritis Juvenile Arthritis News
Hobby Lobby grows across America: photos, review Business Insider
Antiques - The Modern Day Treasure Hunt
In today's world, everything that's old can be described as antiques and generally speaking that's quite true. A product is considered to be an antique if it is over a hundred years old or is rare enough to have some value.
Jewelry Insurance - Hints and Tips So You Dont Get Ripped Off
As crime and drug use increases, the risks involved in having Antique and Estate Jewelry just lying around your home seem to treble. It becomes a nightmare and you find you are just not sure what to do.
How to Invest in Antique, Vintage, or Modern Jewelry
As Antique Jewelry is 'Really' based on the 'Collectability' and Style of an item, it is hard for clients to appreciate the 'Craft' involved in Handmade work, as they only see the Gold value or Diamond Value fluctuate over the years.If Gold goes up or the older something gets, the value increases, right?No.
Create A Gift Basket For A Cat Lover!
The choice of what gift to give your family and friends can often be a difficult one. One of the best gifts that you can give is a themed gift basket.
Machine Embroidery Digitizing - What Youll Need Besides the Software
You've purchased an embroidery machine, practiced the designs that were included in the package, maybe even bought a disc of designs or downloaded a few designs off the Internet to stitch out. Now you're thinking about investing in digitizing software and taking your embroidery to the next level.
Origami Secrets Revealed
Origami, or the art of paper folding, has been around for centuries. It is one of the most intricate, but at the same time simple expressions of art in the world.
Collectibles: Searching for those Hard-to-Find Diecast Models
For collectors of any kind, there are always those items that are much sought after, but nearly impossible to find. If they're lucky enough to finally locate them, the price is often exorbitant or there are some other restrictions which inhibit their ability to secure them.
The Easy Way to Make a Special Present
We all know someone who is difficult to buy a present for. Someone who has everything they need and would not appreciate 'normal' gifts.
Embroidery Machine Use by New Owners for Good Results
Many new home embroidery machine owners have to learn on their own with little instructions and thus have to resort to the "trial and error" methods to get satisfactory results. One can certainly learn to embroidery this way but it takes time, money and patience.
The Choice Between Electric or Nitro Powered RC Cars Can be Overwhelming!
The roar of the crowd as the cars rush by, the sense of excitement in the air. Is it the Indy 500? No, it is RC racing! RC racing, or remote control racing also known as radio control, is a quickly growing hobby segment that appeals to both young and old, and men and women.
Scrapbooking Yourself as an Individual, Homemaker, Worker, and More
From age 25 onwards, our grand adventure has just unfolded as we embrace adulthood.Here's where you experienced first-hand the lessons of life and be prodded along to grow up in the face of challenges.
Making Beaded Jewelry Is Easy to Do
Making beaded jewelry is an inexpensive and fun hobby that nearly anyone can do. The materials needed are readily accessible and cost very little money.
Are You Making Money At Craft Shows?
If you are involved in the crafts business, and are profitable, you are among the rare breed who have successfully combined art with business. If, however, you still have yet to show a profit (or enough profit) after a show, this article may get you going in the right direction.
Kona Cotton: The Quilters & Embroiderers Dream Fabric
What, Exactly, Is Kona Cotton? Kona(R) cotton is a premium, 100% cotton broadcloth from Robert Kaufman Fabrics in Los Angeles. The company introduced the fabric in the 1980's in response to the then rapidly emerging quilting industry, an interest that continues unabated today.
Why You Need A Display Case
Why You Need A Display CaseSome people are under the impression you need to own a retail shop to have a display case. While commercial display cases (like commercial pet display cases) are popular, many people often have one in their home.
Capturing the Craft Show Market
Finding the right product to sell at a craft show is extremely important in finding success on the craft show circuit. You may already have an excellent craft product or line of products you are creating or even selling, or you may be looking for a craft to produce in order to enter the business.
Bookmarks As Unique As You
Racks and racks of bookmarks ranging from funny to inspirational are available in most bookstores. But for a truly unique bookmark, make your own from a treasured digital photo.
Production and Pricing of Craft Show Items
This is where you can really make or break your craft show career. Being able to produce quality crafts as efficiently and affordably as possible is the key to making a tidy profit from craft shows.
Choosing The Right Mat Board Colour For Your Art Work
The framing industry has no books, no set theory, not hard and fast rules on how to pick colours. There are some personal opinions from various writers but that's all they are.
Make Your Own Lampshades
When redecorating your room, you may be faced with looking for new lampshades (or perhaps a lampshade you currently have has gotten damaged). So why not make your own!If your lamp currently has a lampshade on it, half of the battle is already won! You have a base to start building your new shade.
|home | site map|