|Crafts & Hobbies Information|
Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums - 5 Tips for Success
Do you dream of watching the natural beauty of the undersea reef life while sitting in your living room?
Whether your goal is a nano reef tank or a 150 gallon aquarium with an ecosystem of coral and saltwater fish, the following five tips will lead you on your way to success.
1) Commit! Decide you are going to spend the $$ it takes to make a proper go of it. At a minimum, most tanks, (from 10 gal to 55 gal) take between $250 and $500 to get going. Can you do it cheaper? Yes, but usually not your first one. You have to know what you are doing and understand how things can and will go wrong before you can choose less expensive husbandry options and/or equipment. Save up if you have to, but count on that first tank being expensive.
Realize that this is not a short term commitment. And as much fun as it is to collect the coolest coral fragments out there and show them off to your friends, there WILL come a time when you are hauling all of those same 'frags' out of the tank and into temporary storage when your six year old cracks the side of the display tank with a pool ball or some other calamity occurs.
2) Study! Spend time on the internet, in books and watching nature shows on reefs BEFORE you get your animals. Understand the animals that you are going to keep and how they interact with each other. If you count on the LFS (Local Fish Store) or your buddy down the road to keep you out of trouble and don't do your homework.. You will fail. That is the one guarantee in this hobby. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
The only way around this is to be able to afford to pay someone else to set-up and maintain your tank.
3) Mingle! (see 2 above) There are plenty of reef-keeping societies out there with lots of experience to help you along your way and teach you what you need to know. As long as you are doing your own homework, they are usually happy to help!
4) Keep an open mind! There is not just one way to keep a reef tank - no matter how loudly people on the various bulletin boards and forums out there might shout that there is.
5) Share! It is amazing how much help people are willing to give when they realize that you are offering a particularly nice specimen that they have always wanted. Equipment that they didn't even remember they had may magically appear or they might be willing to share a very nice piece of their own reef frag with you.
Trading frags not only is a great way to increase your variety, but it helps maintain genetic strains of corals (frags are also known as 'clones') that might otherwise die out in a single tank struck by the calamity mentioned in 1 above.
Chris Knowlton is an avid fan of reef keeping and propagation. He maintains a nano tank and two large saltwater reef aquariums. To read 5 More Tips for Success with Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums Visit http://www.KnowltonsReef.com.
Please, include an active link to the authors site when republishing this article.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Depression Glass Trivia
Depression glass facts make for interesting conversation, especially when you're at a convention or talking amongst other Depression glass aficionados. So here are a few items to get you started so you, too, can have some meaningful knowledge to put on the plate when you and your Depression glass collector friends gather 'round and chat.
Choosing The Correct Comic Book Storage Box
Most Comic Book Storage Boxes are super strong and come with sturdy well-fitting lids and handle holes that can be left in the closed position for storing or pushed open for carrying. They are properly sized to hold a comic in a bag with a backing board.
Family Album In The Digital Age
Back then it was simple - you take the picture, you print it and put it in your family album. But now you have a digital camera.
A Brief History of Candles
For centuries man's progress has been lighted by candles. However, people know only very few things about the origin of candles.
Security Advice for Gold Jewelry, Diamonds, and Gemstones
For you to enjoy your treasures, they need to be somewhere close and accessible, but NOT in the Bedside Jewelry Box.Although we DO advise a Jewelry Box on the Dresser and easily seen, BUT ONE CONTAINING SEVERAL PIECES OF JUNK JEWELRY.
Molding Leather Armor
In order to mould leather armor, soak it in water until it becomes pliable and soft. Then place it in the mould until it dries and hardens.
How to Make Quilted Silver Beads
After making the leaf bead, I was impressed with the detail made possible by the metal clay. Therefore, I decided to use the same technique but create a different look.
My 12-year-old daughter was mad at me when I refused to pay $25 for a school yearbook last year. Who are they trying to kid?In an attempt to appease my daughter, I suggested buying a little notebook that her friends could write messages in for her.
Leather CareWhen buying leather, the best thing you can do is ask the people who you buy it from, what the manufacturer recommends for leather care and cleaning. Don't forget to ask what other products may work well for leather care too, as there may be something you're more comfortable using.
You Are A Diamond So Scrapbook About Yourself
As a devoted scrapper, you probably gain satisfaction from scrapbooking about others.Oftentimes, you are the one glaring missing light in your scrapbook albums.
Printing on Canvas
Given the progress in inkjet and media technology, demand for printing photographs and art on canvas is growing exponentially. Whether you have a good inkjet printer or you prefer to have your work done by a professional outfit, it is worth to explore this option for any type of image.
Floral Arranging as a Hobby
Flower arranging has become increasingly popular as a hobby, for people of all ages and backgrounds.Have you ever put flowers in a vase and they just don't sit right? By learning a few basic principles you will be able to create attractive floral designs for your own home.
Baby Boomers Need Creative Practical Hobbies
"Well how are you really enjoying your retirement?" I asked out of interest, "it was great to start with" he said, but lately, I've just become kind of lost..
A Few Tips About Comic Book Backing Boards
Comic Book Backing Boards come in different thicknesses and acid-free properties. The basic purpose for using a backing board is to give the comic some stiffness, which helps keep the comic pages from bending, creasing or wrinkling.
Creating A Family Tradition-Jigsaw Puzzles
Do you find it difficult to spend time together as a family?There are so many pressures and activities that can take away from the sense of family which was more commonly experienced 50 years ago. Parents often both work, and their commute can be tiring and long.
Jar Lid and Jar Candle Decoration
Supplies Needed:Most items can be found around the house or in a craft store.Jar Candle with lid - with removable plastic bottomCraft GluePaintScissorsDecorating Candle Jars and Lids is a fun and easy project for all ages.
Tech-Savvy Crafters Can Go Global
The image of a crafter or artisan is often serene, even pastoral. It's easy to imagine a potter spinning his wheel in his barn-turned-studio and then selling his wares at the little farmer's market down the road.
Using Your Dogs Hair
Dog hair (called chiengora)can be spun into yarn, much like sheeps's wool, alpaca, or any other animal fiber. The process is the same.
Preservation and Making Copies of Your Scrapbook
You put a great deal of time, thought, and effort into your scrapbook pages. Scrapbooks often are very personalized creative works that are very meaningful to the creator.
Create A Gift Basket For A Cat Lover!
The choice of what gift to give your family and friends can often be a difficult one. One of the best gifts that you can give is a themed gift basket.
|home | site map|