Unique Baby Names
What's in a name? Er?well, everything, really! Of course your little bundle of joy is the sweetest, most beautiful thing you have ever seen and you want to choose a name that reflects his/her individuality, spirituality, uniqueness and all-round special-ness.
But wait a minute!
Remember that the unique baby name you choose will help define junior's life - how they are viewed and accepted - for many, many years. What sounds cute and original for a 5-year-old, may not sound so funky for a 15-year-old?and what about a 55-year old?
Time was when only celebrities could get away with unique baby names (Zowie Bowie, Dweezil and Moon Unit Zappa, etc), but in the modern world, individuality is more prized than ever before, and increasingly, this starts with our names. Great idea - but don't allow a flash of a self-indulgence to condemn your child to a lifetime of problems; it's reported that a Chinese couple named their child "Saddam Sars" to mark the current world events at the time of the birth! I just hope it means something nice in Mandarin, or Cantonese!
This probably wouldn't have happened in Germany, where names can only be registered if they recognizable, do not ridicule the child and are gender specific. Perhaps there is at least one Chinese child in the world, who will grow up wishing he/she were German!
So - assuming you are not German - what should you do if you want to create a unique baby name, without creating too many problems? Here are some tips and some warnings to make the process less painful:
1. Anagrams: try creating an anagram of an existing name.
2. Father and Mother: try using derivatives of one of the parents' names, or a combination of both. Alternatively, how does the mother's maiden name sound as a first name?
3. Telescoping: try dropping letters from another name or a word, until you get a nice-sounding name.
4. Spelling: an unusual spelling of a common name creates uniqueness. However, remember that your child will be condemned to a lifetime of "?that's David spelt D..A..Y..V..I..D?" conversations.
5. Pronunciation: another trick is to pronounce a common name in an unusual way. But this can also lead to a lifetime of corrections and explanations - as well as teasing and accusations of pretentiousness.
6. History: do some research into names that were popular in previous eras, but have become less so.
7. Family History: are there any unusual baby names that can be used to honor family members or ancestors? But beware family politics?
8. Nature: many names come from the natural world, particularly flowers (e.g. Rose) and it's a great source for unique baby names (e.g. Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple).
9. Geography: another useful source of great names - grab an atlas and start searching. David and Victoria Beckham called their first son Brooklyn, which many people think is a cool-sounding name. However, it's reported that the choice was made because that's where conception took place. Hmmm, imagine a lifetime in which your name is a constant reminder of your parents having sex! Eeeuuuuww!!!
10. Celebrities: famous people with slightly unusual names are a common source of inspiration. There are lots of teenage "Kylie"s running around the UK since Kylie Minogue's arrival on the music scene at end of the '80's, and her recent resurgence, will have created a second wave of them. And I'm sure many little "Be'yonce"s have been popping up over the last few years. The only problem is that names like these very soon begin to sound a little silly and "wannabe".
11. Foreign Names: consider using a foreign version of a name, e.g., Pedro, instead of Peter. Or try using a name from a completely different culture.
12. Nicknames: try using a nickname e.g. Angie, instead of Angela or Angelina. However, make sure the name is will pass the "age test" - see number 17 below.
13. Middle Names: a great way to accommodate individuality when naming your baby, is to combine a common first name with a unique second/middle name. The benefit of this is that your child can avoid embarrassment throughout his/her life by ignoring it of keeping it hidden.
14. Initials: when you have settled on some names, check that the initials aren't embarrassing. This is an easy trap to fall into and can lead to a lifetime of misery. "Zina Indigo" are may be nice sounding names for your lovely daughter, but make sure your surname doesn't begin with "T"!
15. First Name-Surname: check how the selected first name combines with the surname. Make sure the two names do not create some something recognizable, to prevent a lifetime of teasing. Also, check the rhythm of the two names; a different number of syllables in each name usually flows much better. Avoid rhyming the 2 names at all costs or your child will hate you forever!
16. The loudness test: try saying the name softly, at normal pitch and shouting it very loudly. You may be surprised at the results.
17. The age test: try to visualize your child with the name as a baby, as a teenager, as a young adult, a mature adult and as a senior citizen. A name can create completely different perceptions of the individual at separate stages of life.
18. The meaning: the final test of the name that you choose should be to check its meaning (if any). Don't leave your child open to getting a nasty surprise later in life.
Whatever name you decide, don't fall into the trap of self-indulgence. Remember, it's not about you, it's all about your child. Your grand design to celebrate the uniqueness of this new human being, may eventually lead to a lifelong, desperate desire for conformity and anonymity. Even Zowie Bowie eventually changed his name to "Joey"?
Michael Barrows is a web publisher specialising in niche marketing. Check out the wealth of baby resources and pick up the FREE ebook "Baby Tips for New Parents" at his website; http://www.all-about-baby-names.com
Recipes: Pot roast and other American comfort classics with a South American twist - The Boston Globe
THE RECIPE EXCHANGE: 3 recipes to cook up a happy Halloween MyWebTimes.com
The Greatest Fish Recipe The New York Times
10 spookiest Halloween dessert recipes you can make at home Alternative Press
Here’s a roasted squash recipe you’ll be proud to serve to company — or keep all to yourself - The Washington Post
Here’s a roasted squash recipe you’ll be proud to serve to company — or keep all to yourself The Washington Post
Author of “Food for the Family Soul” reveals recipe for pumpkin spice quinoa risotto - WDAF FOX4 Kansas City
Author of “Food for the Family Soul” reveals recipe for pumpkin spice quinoa risotto WDAF FOX4 Kansas City
Have your beer and cook with it, too, thanks to these 9 recipes The Washington Post
Horror food blogger has Halloween recipes to die for: Most look like someone already has - Grand Island Independent
Horror food blogger has Halloween recipes to die for: Most look like someone already has Grand Island Independent
Local Moco: Classic recipes fill new cookbook Honolulu Star-Advertiser
8 recipes for the pumpkin spice lovers — and the haters The Washington Post
Make your mornings — or evenings — brighter with a week’s worth of waffle recipes - The Washington Post
Make your mornings — or evenings — brighter with a week’s worth of waffle recipes The Washington Post
6 spectacular sauce recipes to improve almost any meal The Washington Post
Nigel Slater’s autumn recipes to take time over The Guardian
COOK OF THE MONTH RECIPES Burlington Times News
Angela Dimayuga’s 10 Essential Filipino Recipes The New York Times
Recipe: Easy weeknight chicken Parmesan Atlanta Journal Constitution
What food do I make for a tailgate party? Louisville chefs share their best recipes - Courier Journal
Recipe Swap: Pork tenderloin is pan-roasted to perfection Winston-Salem Journal
Readers share more Haystacks recipes - Entertainment & Life Lexington Dispatch
Bud Brewer Accuses MillerCoors of Stealing Recipes The Wall Street Journal
Roasted Sausages With Grapes and Onions Recipe The New York Times
The 10 Most Popular Recipes in September 2019 Bon Appetit
Free green beans from the casserole with these 9 recipes The Washington Post
Nibbles: A pig roast, cranberries and a delicious noodle recipe The Ellsworth American
15 mushroom recipes for your plate, bowl or soul The Washington Post
The banana bread recipe that's better than your mom's University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily
Do They Give Out Pulitzers for Chicken Recipes? The New York Times
Sunflower seeds are more than just a snack, and these 7 recipes prove it The Washington Post
Fox Recipe Box: Hearty Braised Chicken with Butternut Squash WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland
How to Meal Prep - Meal Prepping Tips, Recipes, and Ideas GoodHousekeeping.com
This Jamaican-Style Salmon Recipe Delivers the Sunshine You Crave The Wall Street Journal
Think beyond pie with these 6 spectacular apple dessert recipes The Washington Post
Recipe: Paneer Mushroom Pie Houston Chronicle
GINNA PARSONS: Recipe worthy of holiday | Ginna Column Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
Margaret Button: An oldie, but goodie, from the recipe box Berkshire Eagle
Recipe: Cabbage Roll Soup WJHL-TV News Channel 11
One-pot meals: chicken, rice and vegetarian dishes for autumn Stylist Magazine
8 great fast and easy Thai recipes Los Angeles Times
Recipe for making a fruitfly Phys.Org
Crispy Mushrooms and Kale Recipe Bon Appetit
Long Beach’s Rodou Loizides, woman behind many of the recipes at George’s Greek Cafe, dies, days after husband and restaurant founder - Long Beach Press Telegram
Long Beach’s Rodou Loizides, woman behind many of the recipes at George’s Greek Cafe, dies, days after husband and restaurant founder Long Beach Press Telegram
Rosie Hawthorne's Recipes: Ringing in the Red Bells of October The Outer Banks Voice
Cookbook serves up recipes for TV, movie foods Texarkana Gazette
Kielbasa Fried Rice Recipe Bon Appetit
Recipe: Cooler Weather Beef Stew WWLTV.com
From Chickpea Spinach Stew to Pumpkin Oatmeal Lentil Cups: 10 Recipes that Went Viral This Week - One Green Planet
From Chickpea Spinach Stew to Pumpkin Oatmeal Lentil Cups: 10 Recipes that Went Viral This Week One Green Planet
Classic recipes reimagined have the power to surprise, and delight, unsuspecting guests - Chicago Tribune
Classic recipes reimagined have the power to surprise, and delight, unsuspecting guests Chicago Tribune
The Jean-Georges Recipe for Restaurants The New York Times
5 Two-Ingredient Recipes Kids Will Love Real Simple
For Halloween, a crabby recipe makes a delightful diner Cape Cod Times
15 Easy Thanksgiving Recipes for Stressed-Out Hosts Yahoo Lifestyle
Celebrate National Dessert Day with some of our FOX8 favorite home recipes WGHP FOX 8 Greensboro
Banishing Bedtime Blues
"My son won't go to bed at night without a struggle. He keeps getting up with all kinds of excuses.
A Quiz for Parents: What Are They REALLY Learning?
Picture this. Your child comes home with a special assignment from school.
Defrazzle with a Hearty Guffaw
"The best blush to use is laughter: It put roses in your cheeks and in your soul."Linda KnightWe all know the old adage that "Laugher is the best medicine" - but what does that mean, actually?Well, research has shown that laughing can help in:* Lowering blood pressure* Reducing stress hormones* Increasing muscle flexibility* Boosting immune function* Triggering the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers* Producing a general sense of well-being.
How to Parent Your Teen Effectively
Maintain CommunicationEven though teens need to separate from their parents during adolescence, they also need to know that the safety net of home and family is always there for them. If the lines of communication are shut down, they are not yet capable of surviving emotionally; they need support and input.
Income that PAYS Your Child Support WITHOUT Increasing Your Child Support
Child support is defined as that part of your income you would spend on your children if they lived with you. Custodial parents do not pay child support, because it is assumed that they are spending money on the children, either directly (clothes, entertainment, etc.
Nothing Like a Mothers Love
Travel is a common theme in my life -- probably started with the family vacation we took every year when I was young. But in all my travels, I have seen another universal theme, a common symbol of unity, love and Peace.
Simple Living in a Materialistic World
We were sitting in the family room. My kids had finished their first day back at school after the holiday break, and my wife was working late.
Of Kings and Youth Leadership
(Isaiah 11:6 KJV) The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.If ever there was a time for youth leadership development for our future, then that time is now.
Is My Child Lazy?
Is there a difference between lazy and unmotivated? Why do some children move as if in slow motion? Is this normal or are they just trying to irritate you? You may be surprised to learn that a great many factors come into play when a child appears to be lazy; stage of growth, hormones, hunger, motivation, lack of clear directions and maybe even sleep deprivation.I have never taught my workshop of "Kids, Chores & More" when there hasn't been at least two parents of 11 year old boys lamenting that their sons are so lazy.
Avoid Weight Problems In Children
Although, not a well publicized statistic, childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past two decades-15% of American children are obese according to the U.S.
Parenting - The Irrational Vocation
There are some grounds to assume that a cognitive dissonance is involved in feeling that children are more a satisfaction than a nuisance. Why do people bother with parenting? It is time consuming, exhausting, strains otherwise pleasurable and tranquil relationships to their limits.
5 Ways To Help Your Kids Do Math
Uh oh.Your kids arrive home with their school reports and it's poor marks from the math department.
This article on parenting is by a practicing relationship counsellor/therapist, and father.The following suggestions will be useful for any parent or caregiver who wants to improve their relationships with their children.
Helping Your Kids Handle Divorce
Every year over one million parents have to talk to their kids about divorce. For each parent, the discussions differ, but the goals of the discussions are universal: to openly and honestly reassure your child of your love.
25 Things That Matter When Relating To Our Children (Leaving A Legacy Of Love To Those We Love)
In my opinion, these things matter..
Recently I took my two children to a popular new park in the area. It's a beautiful new playground, all wood, divided into different areas of play for different age groups.
Pieces of Time and Pivotal Moments
Life is comprised of pieces of time sprinkled with pivotal moments. Sometimes these moments have immediate impact.
Reading, Writing, Rithmetic -- and Recess!
Recess has begun disappearing in states all around the country. The reason is the increasing emphasis on "academics" and the mistaken belief that recess detracts from time that could be better spent studying.
Ease Bug Bites with Easy Herbs
Summertime means insect bites and stings. Ouch! Take a leaf from Susun S.
Nanny 911 and Disciplining Your Child
Nanny 911 Interview with Montel WilliamsI saw an interview with Nanny 911 with Montel Williams and I have to say I was really impressed.One of the clips that was shown was Nanny 911 going into a home with 3 or 4 boys.
|home | site map|