Unique Baby Names
What's in a name? Er?well, everything, really! Of course your little bundle of joy is the sweetest, most beautiful thing you have ever seen and you want to choose a name that reflects his/her individuality, spirituality, uniqueness and all-round special-ness.
But wait a minute!
Remember that the unique baby name you choose will help define junior's life - how they are viewed and accepted - for many, many years. What sounds cute and original for a 5-year-old, may not sound so funky for a 15-year-old?and what about a 55-year old?
Time was when only celebrities could get away with unique baby names (Zowie Bowie, Dweezil and Moon Unit Zappa, etc), but in the modern world, individuality is more prized than ever before, and increasingly, this starts with our names. Great idea - but don't allow a flash of a self-indulgence to condemn your child to a lifetime of problems; it's reported that a Chinese couple named their child "Saddam Sars" to mark the current world events at the time of the birth! I just hope it means something nice in Mandarin, or Cantonese!
This probably wouldn't have happened in Germany, where names can only be registered if they recognizable, do not ridicule the child and are gender specific. Perhaps there is at least one Chinese child in the world, who will grow up wishing he/she were German!
So - assuming you are not German - what should you do if you want to create a unique baby name, without creating too many problems? Here are some tips and some warnings to make the process less painful:
1. Anagrams: try creating an anagram of an existing name.
2. Father and Mother: try using derivatives of one of the parents' names, or a combination of both. Alternatively, how does the mother's maiden name sound as a first name?
3. Telescoping: try dropping letters from another name or a word, until you get a nice-sounding name.
4. Spelling: an unusual spelling of a common name creates uniqueness. However, remember that your child will be condemned to a lifetime of "?that's David spelt D..A..Y..V..I..D?" conversations.
5. Pronunciation: another trick is to pronounce a common name in an unusual way. But this can also lead to a lifetime of corrections and explanations - as well as teasing and accusations of pretentiousness.
6. History: do some research into names that were popular in previous eras, but have become less so.
7. Family History: are there any unusual baby names that can be used to honor family members or ancestors? But beware family politics?
8. Nature: many names come from the natural world, particularly flowers (e.g. Rose) and it's a great source for unique baby names (e.g. Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple).
9. Geography: another useful source of great names - grab an atlas and start searching. David and Victoria Beckham called their first son Brooklyn, which many people think is a cool-sounding name. However, it's reported that the choice was made because that's where conception took place. Hmmm, imagine a lifetime in which your name is a constant reminder of your parents having sex! Eeeuuuuww!!!
10. Celebrities: famous people with slightly unusual names are a common source of inspiration. There are lots of teenage "Kylie"s running around the UK since Kylie Minogue's arrival on the music scene at end of the '80's, and her recent resurgence, will have created a second wave of them. And I'm sure many little "Be'yonce"s have been popping up over the last few years. The only problem is that names like these very soon begin to sound a little silly and "wannabe".
11. Foreign Names: consider using a foreign version of a name, e.g., Pedro, instead of Peter. Or try using a name from a completely different culture.
12. Nicknames: try using a nickname e.g. Angie, instead of Angela or Angelina. However, make sure the name is will pass the "age test" - see number 17 below.
13. Middle Names: a great way to accommodate individuality when naming your baby, is to combine a common first name with a unique second/middle name. The benefit of this is that your child can avoid embarrassment throughout his/her life by ignoring it of keeping it hidden.
14. Initials: when you have settled on some names, check that the initials aren't embarrassing. This is an easy trap to fall into and can lead to a lifetime of misery. "Zina Indigo" are may be nice sounding names for your lovely daughter, but make sure your surname doesn't begin with "T"!
15. First Name-Surname: check how the selected first name combines with the surname. Make sure the two names do not create some something recognizable, to prevent a lifetime of teasing. Also, check the rhythm of the two names; a different number of syllables in each name usually flows much better. Avoid rhyming the 2 names at all costs or your child will hate you forever!
16. The loudness test: try saying the name softly, at normal pitch and shouting it very loudly. You may be surprised at the results.
17. The age test: try to visualize your child with the name as a baby, as a teenager, as a young adult, a mature adult and as a senior citizen. A name can create completely different perceptions of the individual at separate stages of life.
18. The meaning: the final test of the name that you choose should be to check its meaning (if any). Don't leave your child open to getting a nasty surprise later in life.
Whatever name you decide, don't fall into the trap of self-indulgence. Remember, it's not about you, it's all about your child. Your grand design to celebrate the uniqueness of this new human being, may eventually lead to a lifelong, desperate desire for conformity and anonymity. Even Zowie Bowie eventually changed his name to "Joey"?
Michael Barrows is a web publisher specialising in niche marketing. Check out the wealth of baby resources and pick up the FREE ebook "Baby Tips for New Parents" at his website; http://www.all-about-baby-names.com
Submit your recipes now sidneydailynews.com
Vintage Old Mission Recipes: Nida Giles' German Potato Salad Old Mission Gazette
What Your Recipe Box Says About You The New York Times
10 Best Chicken Tenders Recipes - Ideas for Chicken Tenders Country Living
These 5 galette recipes are ready for their Instagram moment The Washington Post
Black lentils add drama to this stunning summer salad The Washington Post
Recipes for revolution: Women's suffrage cookbooks weaponized food in the fight for the vote - Toledo Blade
Recipes for revolution: Women's suffrage cookbooks weaponized food in the fight for the vote Toledo Blade
This no-churn saffron pistachio ice cream recipe is golden The Washington Post
New Episode of The 1600 Sessions "Recipes from the President's Ranch" with Matthew Wendel - PRNewswire
New Episode of The 1600 Sessions "Recipes from the President's Ranch" with Matthew Wendel PRNewswire
Recipes | Listing Corvallis Gazette Times
The Forest Feast: Simple Vegetarian Recipes from 'A Cabin in the Woods' seattlerefined.com
Kim-Joy's recipe for rainbow pavlova The Guardian
From Fermented Green Tomato Relish to 'Murica Overnight Oatmeal Parfait: Our Top Eight Vegan Recipes of the Day! - One Green Planet
From Fermented Green Tomato Relish to 'Murica Overnight Oatmeal Parfait: Our Top Eight Vegan Recipes of the Day! One Green Planet
From Berry Parfait to Dal with Millet and Lentils: Our Top Eight Vegan Recipes of the Day! - One Green Planet
From Berry Parfait to Dal with Millet and Lentils: Our Top Eight Vegan Recipes of the Day! One Green Planet
Frijoles de Fiesta (Fiesta Refried Beans) Recipe - NYT Cooking The New York Times
Chocolate-Flake Raspberry Ice Cream Recipe - NYT Cooking The New York Times
Carne Asada Lorenza Recipe - NYT Cooking The New York Times
You can pickle that with these 10 recipes for briny onions, carrots, beets, avocado and more - The Washington Post
You can pickle that with these 10 recipes for briny onions, carrots, beets, avocado and more The Washington Post
Found: A Mysterious, Recipe-Filled Diary From 1968 Atlas Obscura
12 Animal Crossing Dreamie-Inspired Vegan Recipes! One Green Planet
Petaluma cook co-authors cookbook with recipes for multiple diets Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Food, Recipes & Entertaining | theeveningleader.com The Evening Leader
Salsa Tatemada Norteña (Fire-Roasted Salsa) Recipe The New York Times
AI invents new 'recipes' for potential COVID-19 drugs Science Magazine
Deadline for St. Hildegard Food Pantry Recipe Challenge set for Aug. 15 - Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel
Deadline for St. Hildegard Food Pantry Recipe Challenge set for Aug. 15 Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel
One-Pan Recipe: Summery Halibut With a Charred-Tomato Sauce The Wall Street Journal
Northeast Semi-Finalists Announced in the Eggland's Best "America's Best Family Recipe" Contest 2020 - PRNewswire
Northeast Semi-Finalists Announced in the Eggland's Best "America's Best Family Recipe" Contest 2020 PRNewswire
Athens chef shares recipes for elegant Southern brunch buffet Atlanta Journal Constitution
Recipe: Sourdough Crepes San Antonio Express-News
Our Favorite Chicken Tender Recipes Yahoo Lifestyle
Recipe: Sourdough Popovers San Antonio Express-News
Recipe: Sourdough Crackers San Antonio Express-News
Recipe: San Antonio Sourdough Starter San Antonio Express-News
Recipe: Sourdough Waffles San Antonio Express-News
Recipes from Georgia: And yes, one is for peach cobbler Gold Country Media
10 Most Popular Summer Recipes, According to Pinterest Yahoo! Voices
Andrew Zimmern's Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe The Daily Beast
Concrete, a Centuries-Old Material, Gets a New Recipe The New York Times
Smitten Kitchen's Deb Perelman Pens a Love Letter to Her Favorite Blueberry Muffins—Get the Recipe - PEOPLE Great Ideas
Smitten Kitchen's Deb Perelman Pens a Love Letter to Her Favorite Blueberry Muffins—Get the Recipe PEOPLE Great Ideas
Recipe of the Day: Tater Tot Casserole With Taco Seasoning The Daily Meal
Recipe Swap: Cobbler made in individual servings | Dining Winston-Salem Journal
Kick-start your day with this yummy, healthy egg recipe The Indian Express
Heavenly offbeat gazpachos for a hot summer day Richmond.com
On the pulse: three delicious dal recipes Financial Times
Corn and Peach Chaat Bon Appetit
Indian pickling Q&A with Usha Prabakaran Los Angeles Times
This no-bake coconut cream pie plays it cool with a chocolate cookie crust The Washington Post
The 10 Most Popular Recipes of July 2020 Bon Appetit
The Graham Cracker Cookie Recipe You'll Be Dreaming About StyleBlueprint
Recipe: Easy Shrimp Scampi With Spaghetti Squash ourcommunitynow.com
HelloFresh is sizzling as demand for recipe box kits send shares soaring 150% this year - MarketWatch
Give Your Chicken Curry A Royal Spin With This Easy Chicken Nizami Curry (Recipe Inside) - NDTV Food
Recipe: Sourdough Empanadas San Antonio Express-News
These pickled jalapeños recipes for tacos are easy Los Angeles Times
Festival Foods: Peanut Butter Pretzel Bar recipe WeAreGreenBay.com
5 Recipes For Avocado Afficionados Tatler Malaysia
Gina Ferwerda's Michigan Cherry Salad recipe WISHTV.com
COOK OF THE WEEK: Churches provide Ripley woman with best recipes - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
COOK OF THE WEEK: Churches provide Ripley woman with best recipes Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
Hawkey wins national recipe contest The Daily Advocate
Why Guy Fieri's Simple Chicken Salad Recipe is Actually a Fan-Favorite Showbiz Cheat Sheet
Herbivore Muffins: Tasty, Fun Recipe with Lessons for Kids Allergic Living
Chile-Oil Noodles With Cilantro Recipe - NYT Cooking The New York Times
Recipe: Make the most of summer's favorite herb Honolulu Star-Advertiser
American Mussel Harvester recipe competition was stalled but not stopped The Providence Journal
Already perfected your sourdough? Try these 6 creative twists on quarantine cooking trends - USA TODAY
Already perfected your sourdough? Try these 6 creative twists on quarantine cooking trends USA TODAY
Miracle Recipe: Light-as-Air Ricotta Gnudi, Ready in Minutes The Wall Street Journal
Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes for summer fruits The Guardian
El Salvador: A recipe for corruption - Blog Transparency International
Banishing Bedtime Blues
"My son won't go to bed at night without a struggle. He keeps getting up with all kinds of excuses.
A Quiz for Parents: What Are They REALLY Learning?
Picture this. Your child comes home with a special assignment from school.
Defrazzle with a Hearty Guffaw
"The best blush to use is laughter: It put roses in your cheeks and in your soul."Linda KnightWe all know the old adage that "Laugher is the best medicine" - but what does that mean, actually?Well, research has shown that laughing can help in:* Lowering blood pressure* Reducing stress hormones* Increasing muscle flexibility* Boosting immune function* Triggering the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers* Producing a general sense of well-being.
How to Parent Your Teen Effectively
Maintain CommunicationEven though teens need to separate from their parents during adolescence, they also need to know that the safety net of home and family is always there for them. If the lines of communication are shut down, they are not yet capable of surviving emotionally; they need support and input.
Income that PAYS Your Child Support WITHOUT Increasing Your Child Support
Child support is defined as that part of your income you would spend on your children if they lived with you. Custodial parents do not pay child support, because it is assumed that they are spending money on the children, either directly (clothes, entertainment, etc.
Nothing Like a Mothers Love
Travel is a common theme in my life -- probably started with the family vacation we took every year when I was young. But in all my travels, I have seen another universal theme, a common symbol of unity, love and Peace.
Simple Living in a Materialistic World
We were sitting in the family room. My kids had finished their first day back at school after the holiday break, and my wife was working late.
Of Kings and Youth Leadership
(Isaiah 11:6 KJV) The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.If ever there was a time for youth leadership development for our future, then that time is now.
Is My Child Lazy?
Is there a difference between lazy and unmotivated? Why do some children move as if in slow motion? Is this normal or are they just trying to irritate you? You may be surprised to learn that a great many factors come into play when a child appears to be lazy; stage of growth, hormones, hunger, motivation, lack of clear directions and maybe even sleep deprivation.I have never taught my workshop of "Kids, Chores & More" when there hasn't been at least two parents of 11 year old boys lamenting that their sons are so lazy.
Avoid Weight Problems In Children
Although, not a well publicized statistic, childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past two decades-15% of American children are obese according to the U.S.
Parenting - The Irrational Vocation
There are some grounds to assume that a cognitive dissonance is involved in feeling that children are more a satisfaction than a nuisance. Why do people bother with parenting? It is time consuming, exhausting, strains otherwise pleasurable and tranquil relationships to their limits.
5 Ways To Help Your Kids Do Math
Uh oh.Your kids arrive home with their school reports and it's poor marks from the math department.
This article on parenting is by a practicing relationship counsellor/therapist, and father.The following suggestions will be useful for any parent or caregiver who wants to improve their relationships with their children.
Helping Your Kids Handle Divorce
Every year over one million parents have to talk to their kids about divorce. For each parent, the discussions differ, but the goals of the discussions are universal: to openly and honestly reassure your child of your love.
25 Things That Matter When Relating To Our Children (Leaving A Legacy Of Love To Those We Love)
In my opinion, these things matter..
Recently I took my two children to a popular new park in the area. It's a beautiful new playground, all wood, divided into different areas of play for different age groups.
Pieces of Time and Pivotal Moments
Life is comprised of pieces of time sprinkled with pivotal moments. Sometimes these moments have immediate impact.
Reading, Writing, Rithmetic -- and Recess!
Recess has begun disappearing in states all around the country. The reason is the increasing emphasis on "academics" and the mistaken belief that recess detracts from time that could be better spent studying.
Ease Bug Bites with Easy Herbs
Summertime means insect bites and stings. Ouch! Take a leaf from Susun S.
Nanny 911 and Disciplining Your Child
Nanny 911 Interview with Montel WilliamsI saw an interview with Nanny 911 with Montel Williams and I have to say I was really impressed.One of the clips that was shown was Nanny 911 going into a home with 3 or 4 boys.
|home | site map|