Unique Baby Names
What's in a name? Er?well, everything, really! Of course your little bundle of joy is the sweetest, most beautiful thing you have ever seen and you want to choose a name that reflects his/her individuality, spirituality, uniqueness and all-round special-ness.
But wait a minute!
Remember that the unique baby name you choose will help define junior's life - how they are viewed and accepted - for many, many years. What sounds cute and original for a 5-year-old, may not sound so funky for a 15-year-old?and what about a 55-year old?
Time was when only celebrities could get away with unique baby names (Zowie Bowie, Dweezil and Moon Unit Zappa, etc), but in the modern world, individuality is more prized than ever before, and increasingly, this starts with our names. Great idea - but don't allow a flash of a self-indulgence to condemn your child to a lifetime of problems; it's reported that a Chinese couple named their child "Saddam Sars" to mark the current world events at the time of the birth! I just hope it means something nice in Mandarin, or Cantonese!
This probably wouldn't have happened in Germany, where names can only be registered if they recognizable, do not ridicule the child and are gender specific. Perhaps there is at least one Chinese child in the world, who will grow up wishing he/she were German!
So - assuming you are not German - what should you do if you want to create a unique baby name, without creating too many problems? Here are some tips and some warnings to make the process less painful:
1. Anagrams: try creating an anagram of an existing name.
2. Father and Mother: try using derivatives of one of the parents' names, or a combination of both. Alternatively, how does the mother's maiden name sound as a first name?
3. Telescoping: try dropping letters from another name or a word, until you get a nice-sounding name.
4. Spelling: an unusual spelling of a common name creates uniqueness. However, remember that your child will be condemned to a lifetime of "?that's David spelt D..A..Y..V..I..D?" conversations.
5. Pronunciation: another trick is to pronounce a common name in an unusual way. But this can also lead to a lifetime of corrections and explanations - as well as teasing and accusations of pretentiousness.
6. History: do some research into names that were popular in previous eras, but have become less so.
7. Family History: are there any unusual baby names that can be used to honor family members or ancestors? But beware family politics?
8. Nature: many names come from the natural world, particularly flowers (e.g. Rose) and it's a great source for unique baby names (e.g. Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple).
9. Geography: another useful source of great names - grab an atlas and start searching. David and Victoria Beckham called their first son Brooklyn, which many people think is a cool-sounding name. However, it's reported that the choice was made because that's where conception took place. Hmmm, imagine a lifetime in which your name is a constant reminder of your parents having sex! Eeeuuuuww!!!
10. Celebrities: famous people with slightly unusual names are a common source of inspiration. There are lots of teenage "Kylie"s running around the UK since Kylie Minogue's arrival on the music scene at end of the '80's, and her recent resurgence, will have created a second wave of them. And I'm sure many little "Be'yonce"s have been popping up over the last few years. The only problem is that names like these very soon begin to sound a little silly and "wannabe".
11. Foreign Names: consider using a foreign version of a name, e.g., Pedro, instead of Peter. Or try using a name from a completely different culture.
12. Nicknames: try using a nickname e.g. Angie, instead of Angela or Angelina. However, make sure the name is will pass the "age test" - see number 17 below.
13. Middle Names: a great way to accommodate individuality when naming your baby, is to combine a common first name with a unique second/middle name. The benefit of this is that your child can avoid embarrassment throughout his/her life by ignoring it of keeping it hidden.
14. Initials: when you have settled on some names, check that the initials aren't embarrassing. This is an easy trap to fall into and can lead to a lifetime of misery. "Zina Indigo" are may be nice sounding names for your lovely daughter, but make sure your surname doesn't begin with "T"!
15. First Name-Surname: check how the selected first name combines with the surname. Make sure the two names do not create some something recognizable, to prevent a lifetime of teasing. Also, check the rhythm of the two names; a different number of syllables in each name usually flows much better. Avoid rhyming the 2 names at all costs or your child will hate you forever!
16. The loudness test: try saying the name softly, at normal pitch and shouting it very loudly. You may be surprised at the results.
17. The age test: try to visualize your child with the name as a baby, as a teenager, as a young adult, a mature adult and as a senior citizen. A name can create completely different perceptions of the individual at separate stages of life.
18. The meaning: the final test of the name that you choose should be to check its meaning (if any). Don't leave your child open to getting a nasty surprise later in life.
Whatever name you decide, don't fall into the trap of self-indulgence. Remember, it's not about you, it's all about your child. Your grand design to celebrate the uniqueness of this new human being, may eventually lead to a lifelong, desperate desire for conformity and anonymity. Even Zowie Bowie eventually changed his name to "Joey"?
Michael Barrows is a web publisher specialising in niche marketing. Check out the wealth of baby resources and pick up the FREE ebook "Baby Tips for New Parents" at his website; http://www.all-about-baby-names.com
17 lip-smacking recipes for leftover roast chicken The Guardian
GTCC culinary instructor shares easy, delicious recipes with peaches WGHP FOX 8 Greensboro
Keep These Recipes The New York Times
How to read a recipe and avoid common cooking pitfalls The Washington Post
When life gives you herbs by the fistful, put them to use in sauces, salads and drinks - The Washington Post
When life gives you herbs by the fistful, put them to use in sauces, salads and drinks The Washington Post
These 5 recipes rely on mustard for their zing The Washington Post
Looking For A Go-To Healthy Cookie Recipe? Here's 38 Options mindbodygreen.com
Alabama recipes: Appetite for avocados Alabama NewsCenter
Fresh asparagus stars in a quick-cooking, citrusy stir-fry with salmon The Washington Post
Our Favorite Restaurants, in Recipes The New York Times
The Best 4th of July Dessert Recipes The Wall Street Journal
Recipes to live 100 years | Good Living Victoria Advocate
From Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oatmeal to Healthy Citrus Pear Ginger Tea: Our Top Vegan Eight Recipes of the Day! - One Green Planet
From Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oatmeal to Healthy Citrus Pear Ginger Tea: Our Top Vegan Eight Recipes of the Day! One Green Planet
This garlicky one-skillet chicken is a restaurant dish worth re-creating at home - The Washington Post
This garlicky one-skillet chicken is a restaurant dish worth re-creating at home The Washington Post
Recipes for summer gatherings | Local News Greensburg Daily News
Recipe: A bunch of asparagus, a package of angel hair, and 10 minutes gets you a glorious dinner - The Boston Globe
Recipe: A bunch of asparagus, a package of angel hair, and 10 minutes gets you a glorious dinner The Boston Globe
Recipe: Queso Chihuahua Molletes (Open-Faced Sandwiches) San Antonio Express-News
How to make caesar salad – recipe The Guardian
We Want To Hear Your Best Penn State Recipes Onward State
Copy cats make great recipes - The Brewton Standard Brewton Standard
Travel with your taste buds: Recipes from around the world to try during coronavirus quarantine - USA TODAY
Travel with your taste buds: Recipes from around the world to try during coronavirus quarantine USA TODAY
Two recipes, one shared ingredient KSAT San Antonio
Recipe: Chiles de la Sierra with Queso Añejo San Antonio Express-News
Recipe: Queso Fundido with Chorizo - ExpressNews.com San Antonio Express-News
12 Restaurants America Loves. With Recipes! The New York Times
Rachel's Recipes: Combine pizza, pasta in one cool dish Sand Mountain Reporter
Cooking during coronavirus? Best substitutes for recipe ingredients such as milk, eggs or oil - USA TODAY
Cooking during coronavirus? Best substitutes for recipe ingredients such as milk, eggs or oil USA TODAY
7 recipes for two in quarantine The Washington Post
21 Quarantine Baking Recipes for Every Skill Level The New York Times
Dean shares recipe for 3 easy summer salads WGN TV Chicago
5-at-10: MLB counter proposal, Sports as a better place, Recipes and remember Robin Williams - Chattanooga Times Free Press
5-at-10: MLB counter proposal, Sports as a better place, Recipes and remember Robin Williams Chattanooga Times Free Press
Recipe: Scrambled Queso Requesón Breakfast Tacos San Antonio Express-News
5 trusty recipes that get dinner on the table in 40 minutes or less The Washington Post
Nigel Slater’s recipes for new potato and spinach salad and chocolate apricot amaretti cake - The Guardian
Nigel Slater’s recipes for new potato and spinach salad and chocolate apricot amaretti cake The Guardian
51 International Recipes We're Tackling During Quarantine Condé Nast Traveler
Disney Recipe: Chocolate Canadian Club Cake (Whiskey Cake) From Le Cellier in EPCOT - Inside the Magic
Disney Recipe: Chocolate Canadian Club Cake (Whiskey Cake) From Le Cellier in EPCOT Inside the Magic
How to make 'nice cream,' plus 6 recipes the entire family will love Omaha World-Herald
Wisconsin Beef Council shares two recipes for the perfect grilled steak - Channel3000.com - WISC-TV3
Wisconsin Beef Council shares two recipes for the perfect grilled steak Channel3000.com - WISC-TV3
5 Simple Recipes to Cook With Kids ConsumerReports.org
15 Plant-Based, Dairy-Free, High-Calcium Recipes - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet - One Green Planet
15 Plant-Based, Dairy-Free, High-Calcium Recipes - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet One Green Planet
Lemon Goop and Vinaigrette Recipe - NYT Cooking The New York Times
Recipes From Some of Your Favorite Texas Restaurants Texas Monthly
Try these egg-cellent (and easy) summer recipes Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The little green pea reigns supreme in these springtime recipes The Washington Post
The Tiny Food Trend Might Be Crazy, But Here Are 5 Recipes Actually Worth Making Mini - KCTV Kansas City
The Tiny Food Trend Might Be Crazy, But Here Are 5 Recipes Actually Worth Making Mini KCTV Kansas City
Weekly Meal Plan: Fresh Summer Produce Recipes! - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet - One Green Planet
Recipe: No-knead, can't-fail bread anyone can bake Berkeleyside
3 Recipes to Make With Frozen Fruit This Summer The New York Times
Dole Whip Recipe: How to Make This Disney Favorite at Home The Daily Meal
Gill Meller's recipes for vibrant summer salads The Guardian
3 quick & easy summer slushie recipes KSAT San Antonio
Recipe Ideas: How to Use Your California Produce The New York Times
30 Best Chickpea Recipes — How to Make Garbanzo Beans Country Living
RECIPES: Craving pizza? Here’s how to make the best homemade pizzas SaltWire Network
31 Easy and Healthy Smoothie Recipes That Actually Taste Amazing Yahoo Lifestyle
Granola bar to egg-avocado sandwich: Quarantine recipes to keep your child healthy - The Indian Express
Granola bar to egg-avocado sandwich: Quarantine recipes to keep your child healthy The Indian Express
Quarantine baking projects for home cooks without yeast (or patience) The Philadelphia Inquirer
Summer grilling recipes to add to your list WOODTV.com
SLOWE COOKING: Copycat recipe creates sweet treat Tuscaloosa News
Soft-shell crabs have short - but delicious - season News-Herald.com
This recipe found on a can of Del Monte corn makes a super easy and surprisingly tasty taco pizza - Green Bay Press Gazette
This recipe found on a can of Del Monte corn makes a super easy and surprisingly tasty taco pizza Green Bay Press Gazette
Worth the hype? From Dalgona coffee to focaccia, we evaluated 5 recipes trending on Instagram during the coronavirus lockdown. - Seattle Times
Worth the hype? From Dalgona coffee to focaccia, we evaluated 5 recipes trending on Instagram during the coronavirus lockdown. Seattle Times
Recipe Swap: Dill makes a nice alternative flavor for potato salad Winston-Salem Journal
Recipe of the Day: Panda Express Orange Chicken The Daily Meal
Disney Recipe: Filet Mignon From Le Cellier Steakhouse in EPCOT Inside the Magic
Recipe: Palak Paneer Houston Chronicle
Quarantine recipes: Nutritionists weigh in on whipped coffee, sourdough, White Claw slushies and more - Today.com
Quarantine recipes: Nutritionists weigh in on whipped coffee, sourdough, White Claw slushies and more Today.com
Kim-Joy's recipe for lemon and matcha cake pop frogs The Guardian
Recipe for Reopening Safely The SandPaper
Banishing Bedtime Blues
"My son won't go to bed at night without a struggle. He keeps getting up with all kinds of excuses.
A Quiz for Parents: What Are They REALLY Learning?
Picture this. Your child comes home with a special assignment from school.
Defrazzle with a Hearty Guffaw
"The best blush to use is laughter: It put roses in your cheeks and in your soul."Linda KnightWe all know the old adage that "Laugher is the best medicine" - but what does that mean, actually?Well, research has shown that laughing can help in:* Lowering blood pressure* Reducing stress hormones* Increasing muscle flexibility* Boosting immune function* Triggering the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers* Producing a general sense of well-being.
How to Parent Your Teen Effectively
Maintain CommunicationEven though teens need to separate from their parents during adolescence, they also need to know that the safety net of home and family is always there for them. If the lines of communication are shut down, they are not yet capable of surviving emotionally; they need support and input.
Income that PAYS Your Child Support WITHOUT Increasing Your Child Support
Child support is defined as that part of your income you would spend on your children if they lived with you. Custodial parents do not pay child support, because it is assumed that they are spending money on the children, either directly (clothes, entertainment, etc.
Nothing Like a Mothers Love
Travel is a common theme in my life -- probably started with the family vacation we took every year when I was young. But in all my travels, I have seen another universal theme, a common symbol of unity, love and Peace.
Simple Living in a Materialistic World
We were sitting in the family room. My kids had finished their first day back at school after the holiday break, and my wife was working late.
Of Kings and Youth Leadership
(Isaiah 11:6 KJV) The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.If ever there was a time for youth leadership development for our future, then that time is now.
Is My Child Lazy?
Is there a difference between lazy and unmotivated? Why do some children move as if in slow motion? Is this normal or are they just trying to irritate you? You may be surprised to learn that a great many factors come into play when a child appears to be lazy; stage of growth, hormones, hunger, motivation, lack of clear directions and maybe even sleep deprivation.I have never taught my workshop of "Kids, Chores & More" when there hasn't been at least two parents of 11 year old boys lamenting that their sons are so lazy.
Avoid Weight Problems In Children
Although, not a well publicized statistic, childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past two decades-15% of American children are obese according to the U.S.
Parenting - The Irrational Vocation
There are some grounds to assume that a cognitive dissonance is involved in feeling that children are more a satisfaction than a nuisance. Why do people bother with parenting? It is time consuming, exhausting, strains otherwise pleasurable and tranquil relationships to their limits.
5 Ways To Help Your Kids Do Math
Uh oh.Your kids arrive home with their school reports and it's poor marks from the math department.
This article on parenting is by a practicing relationship counsellor/therapist, and father.The following suggestions will be useful for any parent or caregiver who wants to improve their relationships with their children.
Helping Your Kids Handle Divorce
Every year over one million parents have to talk to their kids about divorce. For each parent, the discussions differ, but the goals of the discussions are universal: to openly and honestly reassure your child of your love.
25 Things That Matter When Relating To Our Children (Leaving A Legacy Of Love To Those We Love)
In my opinion, these things matter..
Recently I took my two children to a popular new park in the area. It's a beautiful new playground, all wood, divided into different areas of play for different age groups.
Pieces of Time and Pivotal Moments
Life is comprised of pieces of time sprinkled with pivotal moments. Sometimes these moments have immediate impact.
Reading, Writing, Rithmetic -- and Recess!
Recess has begun disappearing in states all around the country. The reason is the increasing emphasis on "academics" and the mistaken belief that recess detracts from time that could be better spent studying.
Ease Bug Bites with Easy Herbs
Summertime means insect bites and stings. Ouch! Take a leaf from Susun S.
Nanny 911 and Disciplining Your Child
Nanny 911 Interview with Montel WilliamsI saw an interview with Nanny 911 with Montel Williams and I have to say I was really impressed.One of the clips that was shown was Nanny 911 going into a home with 3 or 4 boys.
|home | site map|