Powerful Tips for Increasing Your Childs Self-Esteem
Here is a list of ways to convey the message "You are worthwhile" to your children. This list could fill a hundred newsletters, since the ways to raise responsible, happy children are limited only by our imaginations. Here are some places to begin.
1. Tell her on a regular basis that you love her. Actually say the words. If you think, "I don't have to tell her. She knows," you are wrong. It doesn't count if you think it but don't say it out loud.
2. Tell him that you are glad he is your child. Say the words and mean them. If you don't feel it, there is something wrong and you should find out what's going on. We all have moments when we have a hard time getting in touch with our positive feelings for our children. I'm not talking about those times. I'm talking about in general, most of the time, if you're not feeling good about being your child's parent, something is wrong. He will never feel good about himself if he senses that you are not connected to him.
3. Give her an example to follow. Take the time to teach her the steps. Kids need models. It's unfair to expect that she will know what to do in her daily life if you haven't shown her how to do it.
4. Spend time with him. If you are absent most of the time, he notices, and he probably thinks it's because he isn't important enough.
5. Look at her when you speak to her. This conveys, "This is important and you are important."
6. Look at him when he speaks to you. This conveys, "What you are saying is important. You are important."
7. Explain why. It takes more time, but it conveys that she is important enough to spend the time helping her understand. When you explain why, you are also saying, "I understand that you need to know why. I am going to help you meet your needs."
8. When he tells you about something that happened, ask him how he feels about it. Take the time to listen to his answer.
9. When you ask a question, encourage her to elaborate. Say, "Tell me more about that," or ask, "What was that like?"
10. When you ask a question, don't interrupt when she is answering.
11. When you ask a question, watch your responses. Don't disagree or criticize his answer. This teaches him that it isn't safe to be candid and will make him edit what he tells you.
12. Take her seriously.
13. Participate in the driving. The kids whose parents never help with the driving feel bad about themselves.
14. Say no when you need to say no. Kids need to know there are limits and that some things are outside of those limits.
15. When you say no, explain why.
16. When you say yes, explain why.
17. Set a positive example with your own behavior. You can only expect her to behave with dignity and self-respect if she sees you doing it.
18. When you lose your temper or make a mistake, apologize. Say that you are sorry, be specific about what you are sorry for, and give him a chance to respond.
19. When you know that you have disappointed him, acknowledge it. Ask him how he feels about it.
20. Spend time alone with her. Arrange activities for just the two of you.
21. Ask him what he would like to do.
22. Give her a private space where she can express herself.
23. Respect his privacy.
24. If he did a good job on something, say so.
25. If she didn't do such a good job on something, point out what she did well.
26. After a disappointment or failure, ask, "What did you learn from the experience?"
27. When you are giving feedback, describe specific behavior. For example, "I like how you asked the question so politely" or "You still need to pick up the towels off the floor."
28. When there is a problem, focus on the issue, not the child. For example, "You didn't do the last ten problems on this assignment" is more constructive than "You never finish anything."
29. Ask what he thinks.
30. Let her be the one to choose the restaurant, movie, or activity some of the time.
31. Ask him to go with you on routine errands just because you want to spend some time with him.
32. Touch her when you talk to her.
33. Give him a hug at least every few days.
34. Go in and say goodnight before she goes to sleep. (This is easy to forget once they become teenagers.)
35. Look up and smile when he walks into the room.
36. Introduce yourself when she is with a new friend.
37. Ask her to tell you about the book she is reading or the movie she just saw.
38. Review child development literature regularly to stay updated on what is normal at each age and stage. It is important to recheck your standards and expectations to be sure they are realistic for the child's age and individual abilities.
39. Look for ways to maintain your own self-esteem. If you are unhappy, discontent, or disappointed in how your life is turning out, it will be difficult for you to build the self-esteem of your children.
40. Every child needs to be the object of a parent's undivided attention on a regular basis.
41. Make certain that your body language matches your words. If they are out of synch, he will be aware of it.
42. Be yourself. Tell the truth.
43. Be appropriate. You don't have to say everything that is on your mind or tell him things he isn't ready to know.
44. If you show that you accept yourself and your actions, you give permission to her to do the same.
Garrett Coan is a professional therapist,coach and psychotherapist. His two Northern New Jersey office locations are accessible to individuals who reside in Bergen County, Essex County, Passaic County, Rockland County, and Manhattan. He offers online and telephone coaching and counseling services for those who live at a distance. He can be accessed through http://www.creativecounselors.com or 201-303-4303.
Our 50 Best Recipes of 2019 The New York Times
Take your butternut squash appreciation above and beyond roasting with these 7 recipes - The Washington Post
Take your butternut squash appreciation above and beyond roasting with these 7 recipes The Washington Post
Recipes from the American Frontier Cowboys and Indians
Make fennel your new best frond in these 8 fresh recipes The Washington Post
The Recipes We Need Most This Time of Year Bon Appetit
10 Vegan Jerk Recipes Inspired by Jamaican Cuisine! One Green Planet
They're here! The 15 winning cookie recipes from the 2019 Dallas Morning News Holiday Cookie Contest - The Dallas Morning News
They're here! The 15 winning cookie recipes from the 2019 Dallas Morning News Holiday Cookie Contest The Dallas Morning News
Our 50 Most Popular Recipes of 2019 The New York Times
‘Recipes for Refuge’: This new cookbook by Seattle immigrants will help benefit future immigrants - Seattle Times
‘Recipes for Refuge’: This new cookbook by Seattle immigrants will help benefit future immigrants Seattle Times
15 Comforting Asian Flavored Veggie Soup Recipes! One Green Planet
This roasted feta with grapes and olives is a salty, tangy powerhouse of an appetizer — with zero effort - SF Gate
This roasted feta with grapes and olives is a salty, tangy powerhouse of an appetizer — with zero effort SF Gate
Braised meats, saucy dinners, comforting soups and more of our favorite Dutch oven recipes - The Washington Post
Braised meats, saucy dinners, comforting soups and more of our favorite Dutch oven recipes The Washington Post
3 delicious new holiday cookie recipes you’ll make every year The Mercury News
Christmas breakfast: Tom Hunt's recipe for kedgeree The Guardian
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Recipes and Ideas Shape Magazine
Who has time to decorate fancy cookies? Here are some easy (but delicious) recipes for your Christmas baking. - The Denver Post
Who has time to decorate fancy cookies? Here are some easy (but delicious) recipes for your Christmas baking. The Denver Post
Recipe idea part of the gravy train | News, Sports, Jobs Evening Observer
The Best Leftovers Recipes The New York Times
6 Cookie Swap–Winning Recipes Bon Appetit
Our Best Recipes for Thanksgiving Leftovers The New York Times
Our Best Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes The New York Times
Our Best Thanksgiving Recipes: Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Pumpkin Pie and More The New York Times
Maple Pecan Caramel Corn Recipe The New York Times
12 Stunning Cookies That Will Impress Everyone You Know The New York Times
Recipes: Three classic Thanksgiving side dishes made easier The Boston Globe
The 10 Most Popular Recipes in November 2019 Bon Appetit
Recipe: Break in your new Instant Pot with this buffalo chicken chili Bring Me The News
Recipe: Whiskey Gingers cookie, first place in Star Tribune Holiday Cookie Contest - Minneapolis Star Tribune
Recipe: Whiskey Gingers cookie, first place in Star Tribune Holiday Cookie Contest Minneapolis Star Tribune
Help us plan Christmas dinner: Share your favorite holiday recipes with FOX 8 - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland
Help us plan Christmas dinner: Share your favorite holiday recipes with FOX 8 WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland
Recipes are now in the cloud, not on cards. What have we lost? The Boston Globe
An alternative Christmas dinner: Anna Jones' recipe for squash, winter herb and popped butterbean pie - The Guardian
An alternative Christmas dinner: Anna Jones' recipe for squash, winter herb and popped butterbean pie The Guardian
Color-Field Cookies Recipe The New York Times
Earl Grey Madeleines Recipe The New York Times
This Beef Brisket Recipe from Alison Roman Bon Appetit
Peanut Shortbread With Honeycomb Recipe The New York Times
Recipe: Pineapple Dream Alabama NewsCenter
Our Best Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes The New York Times
17 Indulgent Gluten-Free Recipes for Christmas Yahoo Lifestyle
Brown Sugar-Anise Cookies Recipe The New York Times
Peppermint Stripe Cookies Recipe The New York Times
Naturally colorful glazes add a bold look to any homemade — or store-bought — cookie - The Washington Post
Naturally colorful glazes add a bold look to any homemade — or store-bought — cookie The Washington Post
Mujadara Recipe Bon Appetit
Three Pizza Recipes and the Perfect Wines to Pair Wine Enthusiast Magazine Online
Christmas cookie recipe: Airy Fairy Pumpkin Clouds Green Bay Press Gazette
One of the Best Whiskeys of the Year Brings a Legendary Whiskey Recipe to the Masses - gearpatrol.com
Recipes: 5 classic holiday treats made simple The Boston Globe
20 High-Protein Recipes That Are Quick and Easy Shape Magazine
Yuengling, Mrs. T’s Unveil Lager Battered Pierogie Recipe WNEP Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
Bulgogi-Style Eggplant Bon Appetit
Recipe: Crock-pot Italian beef sandwiches FOX 10 News Phoenix
Warm up with some hot new recipes from Montreal Canadian Jewish News
Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl refrigerator cookie recipes Talk Radio 1210 WPHT
Miso Party Mix Bon Appetit
6 easy Sichuan recipes to try for dinner The San Diego Union-Tribune
2-Ingredient Dessert Recipes You'll Want to Make Tonight Yahoo Lifestyle
15 Plant-Based Recipes With Complete Proteins One Green Planet
This 'Barefoot Contessa' Ina Garten Recipe Is Food Network's Top-Rated Recipe of All Time - Showbiz Cheat Sheet
This 'Barefoot Contessa' Ina Garten Recipe Is Food Network's Top-Rated Recipe of All Time Showbiz Cheat Sheet
Develop Your Childs Critical Thinking Skills
1. Encourage Questions.
The Symtoms Of Meningitis And Septicaemia
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes around the brain and spinal cord. It is caused by either a virus or bacteria.
Revering the Crayon Marks
"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
Mommies and Me Special Time
Creating and making special memories with your child is very important, especially for your child's development.Special memories also help build a relationship with your child that will last a lifetime.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Results of the Spanking Poll on Rexanne.com: Voters - 233Percentage of readers who do not spank their children: 37%Percentage of readers who spank their children: 62%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I am completely opposed to spanking.
5 Tips For Talking To Your Children About What They See In The News
Mommy (Daddy), Why do those people want to hurt everyone?Last week, the world was shaken by another terrorist attack. Hot on the heels of the Live 8 benefits and in the middle of the G8 Summit, bombs exploded in London.
10 Signs That Your Teen Is Using Drugs
Did you know that over 75% of teens aged 16-17 report that obtaining marijuana is "easy or fairly easy?" Or that 25% of youths between 12 and 17 say the same of crack?When children start using drugs they usually exhibit many different signs that parents need to watch out for. Unfortunately, many parents often write-off these signs as normal adolescent behavior and as a result they don't realize that their child is into drugs until it is too late.
What Are Reasonable Expectations of a Child?
To have reasonable expectations of our children is an important aspect of wise parenting. Reasonable expectations leave room for a child to be a child but understand they are on the road to learning to be a mature adult.
Gaining a Child's Trust
My daughters and I went to the beach several weeks ago. They were having a blast playing in the freezing cold water as I tiptoed around the waves, trying to keep my feet from becoming frost bitten.
The Safest Stuffed Toys for the Kids on your Gift List
Although it's hard to say when the first stuffed dogs appeared, I would guess that it was soon after dogs were domesticated. We do know that as long as there have been children, there have been dolls, rattles, miniature weapons, and hand-made animals.
What a Parent Must Do to Stop Online Predators
Teens can freely access the Internet from computers at school, at their friends' homes and in public places such as libraries and even from cell phones and video game consoles. Internet is everywhere, that is why kids and teenagers (and their parents, too) should be well aware of its dangers to avoid them.
Have you ever sat and watch a child struggle with a blank page? Have you ever wondered why some children just seem to detest anything to do with writing? Have you seem them just give up in frustration and walk away angry and distraught? Well you are not alone. Every one possesses the capability to write stories, plays, poems or journal writings.
Time, Stress, and a Baby
The main thing we noticed since having a baby is that time is a more valuable good. We do not have enough time for many things or time is really tight to accomplish certain tasks before the next feeding time has come.
Homework Help for the Attention Deficit Child
Does the homework battle so typical with your hyperactive or A.D.
Children and Mom and Paper
Memorabilia - Children can create enough artwork for an entire gallery in a few short weeks. The key here is choices; establish a particular place-e.
Watch What You Say
"Now don't you go getting any ideas, Harold.""Don't you get any ideas either, Terry.
Arabella Greatorex, owner of The Natural Nursery, reports on the rapidly rising demand for natural, environmentally friendly and ethically sound parenting products and highlights some of the concerns that have fuelled these demands.Organic FoodThere has been much media debate around the promotion of heavily processed foods to children, part of a long standing concern about the quality of food on offer in the UK.
Public-School True Believers with a Mission
One reason public schools get away with educational failure, year after year, is because they are run by school officials who passionately believe in what they are doing. As the great English writer C.
Guilty of Not Following Her Heart
Karen, a single never-married thirty-year old attorney has a four-year old daughter, whom she just picked up from her parents' home after another all-day affair in court.Like every Thursday, Karen took her daughter, Anna, to McDonald's for dinner, which was a very special mother-daughter bonding time.
The Parent Teen Relationship: How Effective is Yours?
It was the homework that did it. Each night became a challenge in how I was going to get my son, a non-academic, to do his homework.
|home | site map|