10 Steps To Prepare You For Life With Children
It's hard to explain to the uninitiated the changes that a child will bring to your life - nothing is quite the same again. If you are an expectant father (or even mother) or just considering the prospect of parenthood, do the following 10-step program so you can learn what you're in for.
1. Go to the nearest doctor's surgery, pharmacy, clothes store, shoe store or sports store and empty your wallet onto the counter. This will be a regular occurrence well into the next millennium. The method of transaction may change but the continuous action of handing over your money will not.
2. Set your alarm for midnight, then every hour after that. Get up and walk to the furthest bedroom because that is what you will do at some stage, either to feed a baby or return a night-stalker to his room. Let your workmates see you with sleep deprivation - they will get used to it.
3. Put on your best clothes, mash a banana with custard and pour the contents over yourself. Smear it in. This will help your prepare for feeding time with a toddler. Don't bother smearing food over your old or worn-out clothes because kids won't spill anything on them. They know when you're wearing your best oufit before they strike.
4. Arrange a simple outing. Perhaps to have a quick drink with a friend. Give yourself two hours to prepare. Make sure you dress yourself in five minutes so you can spend the rest of the time packing the car. Make sure you pack food. Go out to the car and come back. Repeat this process again and again. Then drive round the block and return. You need to get used to forgetting some object such a child's favourite blanket or teddy.
5. Grab a book, sit down and open it. Make sure you get to an absorbing or exciting part, then get up to do part of a jigsaw puzzle, or turn on the tap for a child who wants a drink, or put together a 1000-piece Lego pirate ship. Return to your book but don't read any further. Go into the kitchen and chop up an orange or an apple for snack food. Go back to your book but don't read any further. Get up and yell something about not fighting because you're trying to relax.
6. Stand in front of the mirror and verbally abuse yourself. Tell yourself that you are silly, that you are unfair and that you really hate yourself. Your kids will tell you if you won't.
7. Cover your hands with jam and wander through the house, touching as many items of furniture as possible. Rub your hands along the walls. Turn on the TV and push the channel buttons a few times. Step in puddles then come inside and walk over your best chairs.
8. Bring in a load of tools and tip them over the middle of the living room floor. Leave them there all day.
9. Take three untrained puppies shopping with you - but not on a lead. Buy what you need without letting them out of your sight.
10. Put a snake on your lap next time you phone a friend. This is what your child as a two year-old will feel like whenever you make a call. Next time you want to make a call, wait two hours before picking up the phone. This is the average length of a teenager's phone conversation. Get used to it because that is how long you will have to wait to make your own call.
For further information to help you enjoy the parenting journey read Great Ideas for Tired Parents by Michael Grose available at the shop at www.parentingideas.com.au.
Michael Grose is leading parent educator and author of six books.
For great ideas to help you raise happy, confident kids visit http://www.parentingideas.com.au, and subscribe to Happy Kids, Michael's quality email newsletter. Take a free online parenting course and any of Michael's informative articles
Sunflower seeds are more than just a snack, and these 7 recipes prove it The Washington Post
From Chickpea Spinach Stew to Pumpkin Oatmeal Lentil Cups: 10 Recipes that Went Viral This Week - One Green Planet
From Chickpea Spinach Stew to Pumpkin Oatmeal Lentil Cups: 10 Recipes that Went Viral This Week One Green Planet
Have your beer and cook with it, too, thanks to these 9 recipes The Washington Post
10 cozy recipes for sweater weather, the season and the state of mind The Washington Post
8 recipes for the pumpkin spice lovers — and the haters The Washington Post
Chef Lori: Recipes for breast health WeAreGreenBay.com
Recipes Wanted For Times Annual Holiday Gift Guide Webster-Kirkwood Times, Inc.
This Jamaican-Style Salmon Recipe Delivers the Sunshine You Crave The Wall Street Journal
Recipes: How to make a great risotto, faster The Boston Globe
Angela Dimayuga’s 10 Essential Filipino Recipes The New York Times
Appetites: 6 recipes to make the most of your apples Minnesota Public Radio News
6 spectacular sauce recipes to improve almost any meal The Washington Post
In the Kitchen: Peanut, peanut butter recipes Forsyth County News Online
UWPD hosts cook-off fundraiser replete with costumes, Mr. Food recipes Channel3000.com - WISC-TV3
Flavorful Vegetarian, Meat, and Gluten-Free Chili Recipes Minnesota Monthly
The Jean-Georges Recipe for Restaurants The New York Times
The 10 Most Popular Recipes in September 2019 Bon Appetit
25 Paleo Diet Instant Pot Recipes for Quick Dinners Men's Health
The Vegetarian Recipes You’ve Got to Make (Plus Something for the Meat-Eaters, Too) - The New York Times
The Vegetarian Recipes You’ve Got to Make (Plus Something for the Meat-Eaters, Too) The New York Times
Recipe: Shahi tukda elevates a simple bread pudding with cardamom and saffron - San Francisco Chronicle
Recipe: Shahi tukda elevates a simple bread pudding with cardamom and saffron San Francisco Chronicle
Celebrate National Dessert Day with some of our FOX8 favorite home recipes WGHP FOX 8 Greensboro
Goya recipes featuring favorites from David Nuno, Chelsey Hernandez and Katherine Whaley from ABC13 - KTRK-TV
Goya recipes featuring favorites from David Nuno, Chelsey Hernandez and Katherine Whaley from ABC13 KTRK-TV
Do They Give Out Pulitzers for Chicken Recipes? The New York Times
Free green beans from the casserole with these 9 recipes The Washington Post
How to Meal Prep - Meal Prepping Tips, Recipes, and Ideas GoodHousekeeping.com
Food Companies Add AI to Their Recipes The Wall Street Journal
8 great fast and easy Thai recipes Los Angeles Times
Kielbasa Fried Rice Recipe Bon Appetit
25 Apple Dessert Recipes Our Readers Love The New York Times
Recipe: Apple Compote From Thr3 Jack WCCO | CBS Minnesota
Chef Saransh Goila Shares His Favourite Diwali Memory And Two Sizzling Recipes For The Festive Season - NDTV Food
Chef Saransh Goila Shares His Favourite Diwali Memory And Two Sizzling Recipes For The Festive Season NDTV Food
Recipe: Republic Cantina's Queso Dip Washingtonian
15 Dairy-Free Eggless Chocolate Cupcake Recipes! One Green Planet
Recipe: No bake oatmeal bites WRAL.com
Report: Elizabeth Warren's 'Pow Wow Chow' cookbook ripped off famous recipes and passed them off as those from her own 'Native American' family - TheBlaze.com
Report: Elizabeth Warren's 'Pow Wow Chow' cookbook ripped off famous recipes and passed them off as those from her own 'Native American' family TheBlaze.com
5 Two-Ingredient Recipes Kids Will Love Real Simple
Intoxication, speed and scooters: a recipe for injury The State News
Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl's Top 5 Crock-Pot Recipes from around the world Talk Radio 1210 WPHT
Nathalie Dupree shares her favorite recipes and stories San Antonio Express-News
What Omnivores Get Wrong About Vegetarian Cooking The New York Times
Fall Pie recipes KSTU FOX 13 Salt Lake City
Crispy Mushrooms and Kale Recipe Bon Appetit
How to make the perfect pasta e fagioli - recipe The Guardian
Nigel Slater’s fig and pig recipes The Guardian
Here's a quick and easy game day recipe: White chicken chili 9News.com KUSA
Zesty, crispy, saucy chilaquiles are the answer to your nachos-for-dinner (or breakfast) craving - The Washington Post
Zesty, crispy, saucy chilaquiles are the answer to your nachos-for-dinner (or breakfast) craving The Washington Post
Rachel Roddy’s recipe for Bolognese rice cake The Guardian
Tailgate Recipe: Mini Bolt Burgers Chargers.com
20 best easy autumn recipes: part 4 The Guardian
How Public Schools Lie to Parents and Betray Our Children
Under the "No Child Left Behind Act," public schools whose students consistently fail standardized tests can now be shut down. To protect their jobs, teachers and principals are now under intense pressure to cheat - to fudge test scores and report cards to fool parents and school administrators.
Raising Teenagers? Stay C.A.L.M.
Parents of teenagers frequently ask what can be done to improve their relationship with their kids. This can be a challenging time, and a time when parents sometimes feel rejected, out of touch, and unclear about what to do.
Public-School True Believers with a Mission
One reason public schools get away with educational failure, year after year, is because they are run by school officials who passionately believe in what they are doing. As the great English writer C.
New Baby - Relax and Become a Yummy Mummy
Lets face it becoming a mum is a bit of a shock at first, to say the least. Sleepless nights and eventful days make it a struggle to get a shower and wash your hair in the morning, never mind applying make up and fiddling with volume brushes and hairdryers.
Dads - What Family Legacy Are You Passing On to Your Children?
Do you want to create a deeper, more loving relationship with your child?To begin, you can learn from your own father:Whether you consider him to have been a good father or not, you can use your experience to become a better parent to YOUR children.Patterns of behavior are often passed on unconsciously from one generation to the next.
How Two Quarelling Kids Helped Invent the Better Behavior Wheel
When David was nine and Laura was twelve, the battles started. Prior to that, they got along great.
Teenagers in America Today
"Family Matters" was the headline that caught my attention in the newspaper. That's the name of my radio program here in California's central valley.
Study Skills - Help Young People Study Smarter, Not Harder
Many young people don't know how to study efficiently and effectively. By knowing how to study students maximize their time, improve their learning and also reduce stress.
I will cherish this moment. I will not let it slip away like sand between my fingers.
Meningitis and Septicaemia
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes around the brain and spinal cord. It is caused by either a virus or bacteria.
The Financially Intelligent Parent: 8 Steps to Raising Successful, Generous, Responsible Children
What you say and do about money has a profound influence on your child. There are money moments every day that you can use to teach your children important skills and lessons about life.
Top Ten Reasons to Hold Family Meetings
1. Make stronger connections among individuals and, therefore, creates a closer family.
Assume Personal Responsibility? Who, Me?
As thinking, acting human beings we have the ability to choose our response to events, people and circumstances. We do not become responsible when we mature; we mature when we become responsible.
Top Three Ways To Communicate With Your Child
Although many parents become frustrated as they try to maintain an open line of communication between themselves and their children, regardless of age, there are three quite simple ways to attempt to achieve this goal effectively. 1 Talk to your kids.
A Mothers Love
Once upon a time there was a beautiful bird whose golden feathers and sweet voice attracted attention where ever she went. She was not only beautiful but also extremely intelligent and talented and she longed to leave the nest and try her wings out in the big world.
The Graceful Art of Defrazzling - For Mothers
"I wipe my baby's chin with my college diploma and wonder, 'How did I ever get here?'"-- Joy Rose from the band "Housewives on Prozac"I'm sure any mom on the planet can relate to that quote and the sense of exhaustion and bewilderment that it implies. Let's face it, ladies, after cooking, cleaning, caring, chauffeuring, and "career-ing" we're pretty frazzled - physically, emotionally, spiritually and intellectually.
Ten Ways To Become Your Teenagers Best Friend
Best friends! It may seem impossible to believe, but today's teens do want to consider their parents as friends, even though they think we could never understand the realities of their world. They are also interested in what it was like being a teenager during the Stone Age.
Promoting Your Childs Heart Health
Cardiovascular endurance is one of the five health-related components of physical fitness. It refers to the ability of the heart and lungs to supply oxygen and nutrients to the muscles.
Parenting Skills - Five Ways To Turbo-Boost Your Confidence
The 'phone conversation had nothing at all to do with parenting - but it made me think . .
How Can I Teach My Child To Be Responsible?
Most of us when asked what we want our children to become, we include "responsible" among other things such as happy, fulfilled and caring. We want our children to learn to make wise choices, be responsible for their actions and live responsibly.
|home | site map|